|Eight|

Skyler

*****

My hotel is a twenty minute drive. I gave my driver my hotel information once I got in the car. Closing my eyes with my head lying back on the head rest, I've been reflecting on today's events.

It was amazing that I was an eyewitness to Nicole meeting her father's family for the first time. I instantly fell in love with her grandma, Mimi Dunbar. She was so loving, and nurturing. Her father's response still disturbs me.

This poor girl, has never remembered laying eyes on him in twenty-six years. But, he didn't give her the reception she deserved. I won't even waste my brain power on the stepmother. I can't figure her sister out, other than her flirtatiousness.

She could never come close to Nicole's natural beauty. I thought she was exceptionally pretty when we first met, last year at Shayne's wedding. But I saw her beauty anew today. She is beautiful on the inside, as well as outside. She has a grace and poise about her, that is not a pretense.

I'm happy for her, that she finally had her dream of finding her family come true. The craziest part is that they live in Savannah, Georgia. Which just so happens to be the new location for her job transfer.

Nicole Dunbar has been a person of interest, from the moment she entered my life one year ago. Why do I have the feeling that things are about to get more interesting?

"We've arrived, Mr. Pennington." The driver had been trying to get my attention. I didn't realize, that I was so deep in thought.

"Great, thank you. I'll go inside to check-in with the concierge. Someone will come out to get my luggage." I notified the driver.

I love it here in Savannah. Now I see why it's become a very popular tourist destination. I have a beautiful large suite in one of the best hotels. After a while it gets old. . . . Hotel life is not my favorite anymore now that I travel for business frequently.

I miss the comfort of home, and my family. Speaking of which, I have to call and speak to my father.

"Hi Dad. I'm safely in Savannah, and looked at a few houses today. I didn't find anything that you or Mama would like. I have appointments with the realtor tomorrow afternoon to look at more. I'm also going to look at some commercial properties for our shipping company. You'll love Savannah. It's really built up since we used to come years ago." I brought him up to speed.

"Your mama and I are coming to Savannah this weekend. She just made our travel arrangements. She doesn't feel it's fair to put all of the responsibility on you to find us a home. You have enough, with all of your responsibilities as CEO." My father just surprised me with that news.

"This weekend I'm going to the Memorial Service for one of our employee's grandfather. She flew to Savannah, with me. She is our new Sales Account Executive." I mentioned nervously.

"What do you mean, she flew with you? Is she staying with you? You know I didn't raise you like that. I know you are thirty years old, but women are to be treated as ladies. Am I making myself clear?" My father was definitely not having it any other way.

"No, Dad! She is not staying with me. She is staying at her grandma's house, with her family. Her grandpa died a couple of days ago. I thought it would be nice to support her. I was already coming to Savannah and the Memorial Service is here. She and I are just friends." I emphasized and calmed my father down.

"I'm sorry, for jumping to conclusions. That is very nice of you to support the young lady. You will make a fine CEO. I'm proud of you, Son. Do I know this young lady?" My father commended me and inquired at the same time.

"Thank you, Dad. I don't think you know her. She has worked for our company for the past four years and I didn't even realize it. I met her last year at the Carrington Wedding. She's a nice young woman. She is a few years younger than me." I started breaking the ice about Nicole.

We are now friends, and I know my parents will be meeting her.

"I'm sure your mother will love to meet the young woman, that has you going to her grandpa's Memorial Service. Maybe we'll come with you, and meet her family since she works for our company." My father couldn't finish the conversation.

My mama grabbed the phone from my father's hand. "What is this about you going to a Memorial Service? I couldn't help overhearing your father's conversation. . . a young lady that works for Pennington Inc? This young lady must be special. I don't recall you ever doing anything like that before," I heard her whisper something to my father.

"Sorry about that, give me her grandma's address and we'll send some flowers. It will be nice to start making friends in Savannah. Our flight will arrive tomorrow." My mother shocked me with that detail. This was not the weekend that I was planning.

Both Nicole and I will be spending the weekend with our families. And my parents are coming to The Memorial Service too. I raked my fingers through my slightly longer hair, and sighed. Now, this should be very interesting.

I sent a text to Nicole to update her about my parents surprise arrival in Savannah tomorrow.

Skyler ~ Hey Nicole. How did everything go at dinner with your family?

Nicole ~ It went OK, I guess. . . I met my Uncle Benjamin and Aunt Lily. He is my father's brother. They were nice.

Skyler ~ I spoke to my parents. They are flying to Savannah tomorrow, to find their own home. They want to come to your grandpa's Memorial Service on Saturday.

Skyler ~ They want to meet you and your family. I gave Mama, your grandma's address and she is having flowers sent.

Nicole ~ That's nice of them. It will be fascinating to have our families meet. I wonder what your parents will say when they meet me?

Skyler ~ My mama will say, what a nice young lady, Skyler. Does she have a boyfriend?

Nicole ~ Yeah right, they won't know what to say when they find out my background.

Skyler ~ You never told me that you had a background. I'm your friend, why would you tell complete strangers and not me?

Nicole ~ Haha, you know what I mean. I'm bi-racial. . . . Would they want me on your arm, then?

Nicole ~ Strike that comment, I'm sorry. I probably should not have said what I was thinking out loud.

Skyler ~ Miss Dunbar, my parents aren't like that. . . . I know that you are bi-racial and I didn't run for the hills. They will just see a beautiful girl, and wonder where I've been hiding you?

Skyler ~ I'm sure my brothers have already shown them the pictures you posted on my Facebook account. You took pictures of us on the airplane and by the fountain, remember? They are posted on Facebook and Instagram.

Nicole ~ Oh, I forgot about that. At least they'll be looking at a familiar face. . .gulp.

Skyler ~ I never saw you as anything other than a beautiful, intelligent woman. You baffle me at times, but other than that. . . . So don't worry. They'll be happy I have a friend, that's a girl. I don't make friends easily.

Nicole ~ I don't have many friends either. I never have.

Skyler ~ Now, you have me. It will be fine. Convincing Mama, that we are just friends, will be the hard part. I'll pick you up at noon and bring you to meet my parents, if your up to it?

Nicole ~ I definitely think I'd rather meet them tomorrow, before the Memorial Service.

Skyler ~ Sounds like a plan. I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight.

Nicole ~ Goodnight.

*****

            Votes and Comments Appreciated ~ ❤️
    I hope that you are enjoying this Story!