|Epilogue|

Skyler

*****

At the end of the evening, Nicole whispered in my ear. "We should elope and get married in Savannah at our favorite park, with the white gazebo. I don't feel like going through all of this again, with an even bigger wedding," she looked exasperated.

We continued to slow dance, swaying to the music. Her fragrant vanilla scent from her perfume wafted through the air around her.

"I'm in total agreement. Why don't we get married the weekend we get back home from Dallas. I'll get the marriage license, and we'll get married right away. Sounds like a plan to me," I spoke in hushed tones, not wanting to let the cat out of the bag.

I peered into her beautiful chocolate eyes and gave her a conspiratorial wink. My heart rattled around in my rib cage. I was ready to marry this magnificent woman who disappeared from my life twelve year ago. I had the gift of finding her again, and I was never letting her go.

"I think we should tell, Auntie Maxine, Uncle James, Mimi, and your parents. I at least want them to see us get married. Maybe even Shayne and Sabine. We did meet at their wedding. He even had Tori Kelly and Ed Sheeran perform at our engagement party." She had her knuckles under her chin, contemplating.

She looked so intently adorable. Now, she has a small guest list to elope? Who elopes, with invited guests?

I can't believe the two of us are planning our elopement right now, in the middle of our engagement party. I had to shake my head in amusement. That's the joy that Nicole brings to my life. There is never a dull moment with her.

I wrapped my arms around her waist. "I would love that, and my brothers as well. But that's it! Just family and my closest friend. I'm marrying my best friend. My mama will be upset, but we just had an amazing party that felt like a wedding reception. And all of our friends from Dallas are here in attendance."

"I'll let you break the news to your mama. I want to remain on her good side." Nicole chuckled and gave me a peck.

*****

We flew back to Savannah the day after the engagement party. I told my mama that Nicole and I were eloping. She tried her best to remain very calm. I know her, she deserved an Academy Award for best actress.

She wanted to make sure that Nicole had a beautiful wedding gown. We had to leave Dallas right away, because time was of the essence. She, Mimi, and Aunt Maxine went into action. They had six days to find and purchase the gown, head piece, shoes, and bouquet. Mimi wanted to have a catered meal at her house.

I love these women. But they didn't feel all warm and fuzzy at the moment.

We had a beautiful ceremony, with the most important people there. Nicole's dress was simply elegant and she looked incredibly beautiful. I wore a black tuxedo, with a formal tie. We didn't have a best man, or maid of honor. It was just the two of us. That's all we wanted.

We were pronounced husband and wife, I kissed my bride, and I was the happiest man on earth. Our guests clapped and cheered, as they witnessed our nuptials.

Nicole cried happy tears and gave me a searing kiss. "I love you Skyler Pennington." She gave me a look that left me utterly speechless, as I broke the kiss. I cleared my throat and brought her hand up to my lips. We were married!

Her aunt and uncle, Mimi, my parents, my brothers, Shayne, and Sabine all hugged and congratulated us. So did the two hundred other guests that arrived, unexpectedly.

Nicole and I only had eyes for each other. "I love you Mrs. Pennington and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with you." I put my arm around her as we were having dinner.