|Five|

Skyler

*****

I met Nicole at the Airport on Thursday morning. I had sent my driver to pick her up after he dropped me off. I had to get there early to change our tickets, and handle some other business. I knew this was the last minute for her, and I wanted to give her extra time to get ready.

It feels like hurricane force winds, accompanied by a torrential downpour of rain. I don't know where this storm came from, it wasn't forecasted. Our flight might get delayed or worse, canceled. The wind was blowing hard on my face as I exited the SUV. I got soaked getting my luggage out of the cargo area. "Be careful getting, Miss Dunbar!" I yelled to the driver, my voice carrying through the wind.

I entered the airport shaking off the water that had me drenched. As I had suspected, our flight was delayed. Great, just what we needed!

*****

"Skyler!" I heard a female jubilant voice call my name, waving frantically at me like a little kid. It was Nicole, with the biggest toothy grin on her wet face. Her hair was soaked. There was a puddle of rain water from her umbrella, and she wore bright yellow rain boots.

"Why are you so happy, Miss Dunbar?" I walked over to her. She was weighing her huge suitcase, with a wide grin that I couldn't suppress. She makes me laugh.

"What do you have in that thing? Your whole apartment?" I shook my head, and put my hand on the back of my neck.

"You had better mind your manners, before I put you in my suitcase." She grinned up at me. My momentary feeling of something, caught me by surprise. I ignored it, and kept my focus on her heavy baggage. She was going to pay a fortune for that ridiculous suitcase.

One of the baggage personnel put her bag on the scale. "Miss, is it possible for you to take some things out of your suitcase? It's way over the limit. Or you can purchase a small carryon bag and put some of your items in there." He tried to be helpful.

Nicole looked at me with a frown. "What do you suggest I do now? Do we have time to go purchase a carryon from one of the airport stores?"

"Absolutely not. . .I will pay whatever expenses you incur because of your gigantic suitcase. I'm not here to go shopping, and then transfer your clothes into another bag." I felt bad, but I wasn't trying to miss our already delayed flight.

"I'll pay you back when I get my first paycheck." She offered sweetly.

I waved my hand, dismissing her thought. "That's not necessary, but thank you for offering. Let's go get on line to go through security." This was one of the most crowded days that I've seen at the airport in a long time.

She grabbed my arm and looped hers through mine. "This is my first time flying, you know? I've never been outside of Texas." She shared with me and now I understood her extreme exuberance. She was ecstatic to be at the airport, like we were on an adventure.

No wonder she wasn't bothered by the airport experience. I hate it, but I also travel a lot. But being around her makes me not mind so much.

We waited for our flight departure information, and sat in the area for our gate. Nicole sat by the window looking at the airplanes taking off and landing. Something about her is so unique, and endearing. I enjoy watching her antics.

I put both of my hands on either side of my mouth. "Nicole!" I yelled to her, with my voice amplified to get her attention.

We were called to start pre-boarding for first class passengers. I had both of our tickets in my hand and had them scanned. I passed her ticket to her.