|Three|

Nicole

*****

I tried to take the stairs to the sixteenth floor instead of the elevator. I needed time to think. Of all days, I wore my hair in a low ponytail. But at least I had on a lovely cream colored dress and matching high heeled pumps. My silver dangling earrings complimented my dress, and I took the time to wear makeup today.

I hadn't really thought out walking up sixteen flights of stairs. I was exhausted and my leg muscles were starting to cramp by the fourth floor.

I stopped this insanity and opened the nearby door. I headed to the elevator with my feet starting to hurt. My shoes look jaw-dropping, but are not practical for stair climbing.

"Hold that door please," I yelled out of breath to a man entering the elevator.

It stopped at the sixteenth floor, and now I was a nervous wreck. My palms were sweating and I felt faint. As soon as the doors opened, I got out.

I haven't seen or spoken to Skyler since the wedding last year. What will he think when he finds out I work for him? Well, I guess he knows since he requested my presence by name.

I knocked lightly on his office door once I got there, and was able to compose myself. I stood straight. I used to practice walking while balancing books on my head when I was younger.

"Enter." His voice sounded commanding.

I entered his office on wobbly legs. My heart was racing out of control, I was so nervous to see him. I was curious what he wanted. But I maintained my poise.

His office was imposing, like him! It was very contemporary. The man himself, sat behind a beautiful walnut desk with a glass top. The walls were painted a light gray. He had a charcoal gray leather sofa across the room, with several paisley pillows.

Two chairs with a paisley print fabric that matched the pillows sat across from the sofa. A glass coffee table sat in between the sofa and chairs. There were vases of varying heights and magazines nicely arranged on top.

Two leather contemporary chairs, sat in front of his immense desk. He looked every bit the CEO. He had on a dark gray designer suit, crisp white shirt, and a nice silver tie. He smelled amazing. The scent of his cologne lingered in the air around him.

He looked fresh from the runway, with a suit fitting him to perfection.

"Ah, Miss Dunbar. So nice to make your acquaintance, again. That is, when you're not sneaking into weddings. Please have a seat." He had a grin filled with mischief, that was actually very becoming on him. I forgot just how handsome he was.

I was shaking like a leaf inside. His presence caught me off guard this time. I was happy to take a seat before losing my balance.

"I guess you figured out that I work here?" That was a silly question to ask him. It was already pretty obvious. But I couldn't think of another conversation starter to break the ice.

"Imagine my surprise, when Diane recommended her replacement for Sales Account Executive. When she said Nicole Dunbar, I was beyond shocked. Not the sweet damsel in distress that I had rescued, Nicole Dunbar?" He sounded a bit piqued and sarcastic, as he leaned forward on his desk toward me.

I lowered my head, and drew in a shaky breath. I stared at the carpet on the floor. I was reluctant to look up and meet his piercing blue gaze. I didn't answer him for a couple of minutes.

An awkward silence filled the air, as he drummed his fingers on his desk. He was waiting patiently, or impatiently. He rested his hand on one side of his face. I could feel his eyes thoroughly examining me.