|Twenty-Three|

Nicole

*****

"Mr. Maxwell Dunbar executed a brand new will before he died. He and his wife, Miranda, knew that he was gravely ill. He had his wife, along with his doctor, and nurse, witness him signing and putting this new will into effect. This canceled out the previous one. He wanted to make his wishes known to everyone." Mr. Johnson looked across the table at everyone, over the rim of his glasses.

"Why didn't my father tell my brother and I, that he was so ill?" My daddy burst out, looking confused.

Uncle Benjamin chimed in. "He was our father. We had a right to know that he was sick." Aunt Lily patted his arm.

Mimi looked at them, her eyes staring them down. "Because he wanted time to get his legal affairs in order, without anyone trying to change his mind. I wholeheartedly supported his decisions, ALL of them!" Her anger sliced through the air.

My father and uncle were silenced. They sat like two chastised little boys, from their mama.

Mr. Johnson cleared his throat. "I will continue reading now."

"I, Maxwell Dunbar, being of sound mind and body, bequeath all of my worldly goods to Miss Nicole Dunbar. I bought, and purchased twenty-six acres of land here in Savannah. One for every year, that I was without my granddaughter." You could hear a pin drop. I was in complete and utter shock hearing my grandfather's wishes.

"The House at 00 Wisteria Lane, Savannah, Georgia, now belongs to Nicole Dunbar. It is to be placed in her name. It is completely paid for. . . . All that I ask, is that my loving wife, Miranda Dunbar, remain in that home for as long as she wishes. Nicole is the sole Executrix, of my Estate." I was in disbelief.

I started breathing very rapidly. Tears were filling my eyes, and dropping non-stop from my tear ducts. They ran down my nose, cheeks, and chin. Skyler kept wiping my eyes, and rubbing my back. Even he was choked up.

"What did he leave to his sons, and to April Dunbar?" June interrupted with her eyes bulging with fright, wondering if he them left anything.

Mr. Johnson was a middle aged, imposing man, with salt and pepper hair. He was pursing his lips together, in deep concentration. He leafed through the paperwork thoroughly, before answering. "Oh yes, here it is." He held up a sheet of paper.

June stood from her chair and clapped her hands together, anxiously. She was awaiting the answer. . . . I thought she was going to grab the will from Mr. Johnson's hands.

"Please sit back back down! He left your husband, you, and April, nothing." Mr. Johnson replied emphatically, trying everything in his power to remain devoid of feelings.

I know he wanted to laugh. I sure did, but I kept my composure.

"Your father felt you had enough of his money over the years, from birth. After all of these years he was quite sure, that you can take care of yourself." Mimi addressed my father.

She continued with her lip curled. "You didn't pay one dime, to care for your daughter, Nicole. You didn't worry about her needs. Instead, you kept her hidden, and treated her of no account. Something that your father and I, could no longer tolerate." Mimi spoke angrily to my father and June.

Skyler and I, put our arms around Mimi's shoulders to calm her. She was very upset and I knew that wasn't good for her in the long run. Skyler went and got her some spring water to drink, and I whispered for her not to look at my father and June.

"There is also a bank account in Miranda Dunbar's name, that Mr. Dunbar had set aside to take care of her needs. It mentions a safe deposit box containing some stocks and bonds, that is to be given to Benjamin Dunbar. We can go over all of the particulars and I'll give you the key." Mr. Johnson informed Uncle Benjamin.