CHAPTER TWENTY EIGHT

Dante's POV

" The baby?" My voice broke.

"Is alive and breathing but with the help of a machine."

I look at him in disbelief. Did I hear correctly?

"But it's too soon will the baby be able to survive this early outside the womb?"

"Because Rose's body was in distress the baby went into distress too and this cost her to have early labour. The child is strong and healthy but the first few hours will be critical. The baby has to stay in NICU until the baby can breath on her own and eat on her own. At the moment the baby needs help breathing until her lungs are fully developed. She receives nutrition and fluids through an IV. She'll have to stay in hospital for another 12 weeks in NICU. Please be prepared for anything."

"Can I please go see my child?"

"Yes and in the meantime I'll remove the tubes from your wife while you meet you're daughter."

"A baby girl?"

Doctor Savelli walks out the room and returned with a male nurse. They talked a while before he took me to meet my daughter.

She was so little...

I could see her heart beat againts her tiny chest. She's a little fighter just like her mother. I just stood there looking at her for hours.

Finally feeling comfortable enough to leave her I go back to Rose.

Mother was sitting by her and father came rushing in with a huge bunch of flowers. That reminds me I should go thank Marlene.

"I have to go see Marlene will you stay with Rose until I return?"

"Yes of course dear." My mother said.

I was shown to Marlene's room and she was watching tv with a cast on her leg and arm.

"Marlene I heard what you did... Thank you."

She gave me a small smile.

"It's nothing, I guess it comes with the job." She said chuckling.

Your the reason my wife and child is still alive I owe you the world.

"I'll see to it that you only get the best treatment. It's the least I can do."

She was laughing softly and it sounded like she was crying. I looked at her confused then I gently stroke her hair.

"It's nothing, I'm just glad they both okay."

She looked tired I'll rather leave her to rest.

"I better get back to Rose. Thank you once again I'll see you a bit later." I turned toward the door walking to it.

"Mr Costello." I hear Marlene and turn towards her.

"Yes?"

"Mrs Costello was talking to someone on the phone right before our car got hit. She looked unsettled by the phone call."

"Is that so?"

"Yes."

"Do you know where her phone is now?"

"A officer investigating the scene has it I believe."

"I'll have a look into it, get some rest now."

I said and walked out of the room. I went back to Rose's room it has been four hours and still no change.

Mother and father went home and insisted I go with them to get some rest but I didn't want to leave Rose and the baby again.

My phone rang and I thought it might be mother wanting to change my mind but it was a private number.

I held the phone to my ear. I could hear heavy breathing on the other line.

"Who is this?"

"Does it matter? It's a shame what happened to your wife. Poor thing was in the wrong place at the wrong time. That should have been you."

What? Then realisation hit me Marlene mentioned Rose had a phone call just before the crash.

"Sei stato tu, bastardo." I barked over the phone.

"Now, now Dante I'll watch that mouth if I were you."

"What do you want?" I yelled at him.

"I want 60 million in three hours and don't try anything funny or else you're little Angel will get hurt."

He laughed a sickening laugh.

Little angel? Is he talking about the baby? Please no... I ran to where the baby was held.

She was gone along with her incubator. I fell down to my knees I couldn't protect Rose and now our child's life is in danger.

"Please bring her back, she'll die outside of NICU. I'm begging you I'll give you the money. I'll give you anything you want. Just bring her back she's just a little baby."

"Is the almighty ruthless Dante Costello begging? Now that's music to my ears."

"Please leave her out of this."

"Tick tock Mr Costello times running out for you and your precious little daughter."

He said laughing in the phone. Fucking bastard! I hit against the wall. The nurse came running to me.

"Sir is everything alright?"

"No nothings alright, my daughter was kidnapped. Who the fuck was on duty when that happened?"

She looked at me in surprise then went into NICU then I heard a alarm went off.

My head was pounding so loudly.

Breath.

Think about what you're going to do. The banks are closed where will I get that kind of money now?

I ask for a security to guard Rose's room while I'm away. I can't worry about your safety now too.

I kissed her forehead.

"I'll bring her back to you Tesoro nothing will happen to our baby."

I drove back home and rushed to the south wing. My parents were nowhere in sight and I was relieved. I need bags that can contain such a large amount of money. Duffle bags I've seen some in the hallway closet. I retrieve the bags from the closet and ran to my father's study.
There should be some money in his safe. I try to open the safe but the password won't work.

"Ag dad why you have to change the password everytime."

I dial his number.

"Dad?"

"Yes son?"

"I need the combination code to your safe."

"Why you need that for?"

"Dad please I don't have time to explain now."

I waited patiently for him giving the code opening the safe I take out the money.

This isn't nearly enough...

I have to think of something times running out.

I take a look at the time and I have about 1 hour and 30 minutes left. I see the printer's is filled with paper and I got an idea.

Stuffing the duffle bag with cut out paper anything. I could get to put some weight on. I place the the hundreds of dollars in bundles neatly on the paper covering it.

I say a quick prayer and hope it works. My phone rang and again it's a private number.

"Tick tock, tick tock."

"I have your money... please just tell me where to drop it."

I write down the address hurriedly looking at the time an hour's left.

"Your daughter's breathing is starting to slow down... I'd hurry if I were you."

He laughs through the phone...