16

Kay's POV

"Are you ready?" Eric asks as I lace up my black boots.

"No," I scoff, pulling my hair into a pony tail.

"You will be fine," he states. I know he is right.

"Ok let's go," I say as I walk out the door with my leather jacket in hand.

I join the other initiates as they wait to go in for final initiation. One by one they are called in. And one by one, I get more and more afraid.

Breath in. Breath out. I'm ok.

"Kay," I hear my name from a speaker. I get up and walk towards the big room with many computers and screens and a chair like the one I had been in these past couple weeks.

"Are you read?" I hear a vaguely familiar voice ring throughout the room. I nod. I sit down in the chair and lay my head back and close my eyes.

I feel the syringe in my arm and then...darkness.

"Should I go get dad?" she taunts. My demon of a sister.

"Why?" I challenge, clenching my jaw.

"Why?" She laughs. "Because you are scared of him. Because you will keep him off my back," she says the last part a little less harsh.

"I am not afraid of him," I say sternly, fully believing it. I will be fine he won't hurt me. I'm strong enough. I will be ok.

"Yes you are." she insists.

"No. I'm not." I state. "But the thing is, if I've gotten over my fear...why are you still here?" I look at her. I notice how our bodies are in the same position.

"I don't know you tell me. This is all in your head. I don't know what goes in up there," she shrugs. I shrug.

"What the hell is going on?" I ask confused, tilting my head to the side. She tilts her head.

"I dunno," she smirks.

"Stop copying me." I growl. We both try to hit each other, but I am met with cold, hard glass. Great.

"I'm not copying you." She insists more urgent.

"Then what?" I ask.

"I know you're no Erudite, but you are smarter than this,"

"What?" I am completely and utterly lost

"In a mirror, we see the reflection of our appearance, but in your heart is where you find the reflection of your soul. "

I still am confused but as she says this I slowly bring my fingers to the glass. I am met by and inch of glass and then it is her.

. I am not afraid of my father, or my sister. I was afraid of being like them. Of being evil and cold hearted.

I may be dauntless but I'm not heartless.

And then, that is when I can see the full picture.

I can finally see that it is not a door way in which I see my sister, but a mirror.

And then I hear claps all around me. I see Eric smiling as he takes my hand and leads me away from the chair.

MAX POV

"She has to be Divergent, right?" I ask pacing.

"Of course. No one had two fears. That's unheard of. It's a given," Jeanine dismisses.

"He's not going to do it," I say quietly.

"He won't have a choice," she says dully, leaving me in the room.

ERICS POV

"You wanted to see me, Josh?" I ask, dreading what he has tot say.

'Yes. There is one thing left I need you to do before you can fully be ready to lead this faction," he says, walking around the table to stand face to face with me.

"You mean one last person to kill," I gulp.

"Oh it doesn't matter! they are a nobody! they don't matter to this faction if they are gone. You are doing everybody a favor," josh dismisses.

"So who is it?" I ask bitterly.

"I believe her name is," he pauses for a moment,"Kay,"

and then my entire fucking world come crashing down.