23: The Fountain on Feral Street

Chapter 23: The Fountain on Feral Street

[Mr Goering's office, Atenamal Regional High, 9:45 AM, The Story]

MR GOERING: (walking into his office) "What are you doing here?"

OSCAR: (following him in) "You told me to give you updates to the statement."

MR GOERING: (putting papers down on his desk) "Shouldn't you be in class?"

OSCAR: (closing the door behind him) "I told the teacher I need to use the bathroom."

MR GOERING: (sitting down) "You look tired. What time did you go to bed last night?"

OSCAR: "I don't think I slept. Can I sit?"

MR GOERING: "You must not have slept last night, if you're asking me permission to sit. Go ahead. What statement are we talking about?"

OSCAR: "The statement about me and Fender, and how we're just straight, platonic, non-romantic friends."

MR GOERING: "Ah. So you've taken my advice?"

OSCAR: "No! Shut up! Just - let me finish."

MR GOERING: "You're nervous."

OSCAR: "I'm not nervous."

MR GOERING: "You're jumpy and snappy. You're nervous. So is this why you're tired? Fender kept you up all night?"

OSCAR: "Goering - I just - I have to tell you the full story."

MR GOERING: "Does it involve typical teenage shenanigans?"

OSCAR: "Of course it does. Who do you think I am?"

MR GOERING: "The biggest virgin at Atenamal High."

OSCAR: "I think teachers are supposed to get placed on leave for saying stuff like that."

MR GOERING: "Oh, Oscar. I thought me and you were past formalities. Get on with your story."

(...)

OSCAR: (standing up and turning for the door) "I shouldn't - I should go. It's nothing important."

MR GOERING: "Sit down, Oscar. I have time, I have ears, and I have a wistful hope that you were up last night for good reasons. Sit."

(he sits)

OSCAR: "It's anti-climactic."

MR GOERING: "So are most things. Now, I don't have that much time, so you'd better start now."

OSCAR: "He was really upset about that article yesterday."

MR GOERING: (nodding) "The one about him and Abdul, and you and him. I remember."

OSCAR: "He started yelling 'fuck you! Fuck everyone!' in class so I brought him to the bathroom, and we were in a stall together. We started talking about what we look for in a partner. He said someone interesting. I said someone kind. He invited me to his house. I invited him to that fire hydrant across the street from the sex-trafficking Thai massage parlor. Of course, we went to the fire hydrant."

MR GOERING: "Last night?"

OSCAR: "This morning. Around five o'clock."

MR GOERING: "What were you doing at the fire hydrant across the street from the sex-trafficking Thai massage parlor at five in the morning? That's not a nice part of town, Oscar."