Setting Sail

Brian sat in his home office. It had been a little over a month since Kassi and the kids officially moved to New York to the new house. Everything was close to being finally put away and they were all starting to finally think it as their home. He closed his laptop and leaned his head back in exhaustion. The next few months were going to be nothing but work and he wasn't prepared to tell Kassi.

"Hi Daddy!" His daughter shouted zooming into his office.

"Hi baby." Brian sighed his daughter climbed into his lap.

"What's wrong?" The Little four year old asked.

"Daddy just has a headache." He said rubbing his temples then looking down at his daughter and giving her his best attempt at a smile.

"I'll get medicine from Mommy!" She said jumping down and running off to find Kassi.

Brian got up and followed his daughter out and heard her asking Kassi for medicine. "What's the matter?" Kassi asked when she saw Brian enter the kitchen.

"Just a headache." He answered. She reached up in the cabinet above the stove and tossed him a bottle of Advil. "Sure you're okay?" She asked as she went back to stirring her sauce that was simmer on the burner.

"Yeah just stressed with work, looks like I'm gonna be away for a bit longer than I anticipated." He answered.

Kassi stopped stirring and glanced up, "How much longer?" She asked almost afraid of the answer.

"Three months total." He responded squinting his eyes unsure of her reaction.

"Brian!" She exclaimed, "You're gonna be gone for three entire months!?"

"I'm sorry babe, they added the cruise right before we leave for Atlanta to shoot the movie, then we have to fly out to Vegas for a few shows  before we can finally make it home." He explained.

"They just like to squeeze every last penny they can outta you guys don't they." She mumbled rolling her eyes. "Don't they realize you guys have lives, families?!"

All three kids who were sitting at the kitchen table playing chutes and ladders together glanced over at the adults nervously. They hated listening to them argue, London especially who would usually burst into tears when they fought. She loved living under the same roof as both her parents and was always scared things would go back to the way they used to be.

"It's because of this family I gotta work so hard." Brian chuckled trying to make a joke. By the look on Kassi's face he could tell she didn't find that funny.

"You're the one that wanted such an expensive house if I remember correctly!" She snapped. "It just sucks, you bitched and bitched for us to move to New York and we are here for one month and your gone now!"

"You don't think I hate this!?" He shouted, "There's nothing I can do."

"Whatever." She rolled her eyes and went back to preparing dinner.
________________________________
About an hour later and the family was sitting down for dinner, something that Kassi always enjoyed on Sundays. The kids weren't saying much since Kassi and Brian got in their argument earlier.

Finally Austin broke the silence, "Q?" He asked.

"Sup bud?" Brian asked as he buttered London's roll for her.

"Can I take your fireman helmet to school next week?" He asked.

"For what? My helmets not a toy, you know that." Brian answered. His fireman helmet that proudly displayed number 86 sat in his office, high up where the kids couldn't mess with it. It was without a doubt his most prized possession.