Memories

Tobias' POV

That syringe glares at me, as if pleading me to use its memory serum. Three years. Three years I've been staring at that syringe thinking, maybe just maybe, it could take all the pain away. But a small voice in the back of my head tells me not to forget, her voice tells me that she would never forgive me if I forgot about her, forgot about us. So as I do almost every morning i get up out of bed, shower, change, and eat before work. After the cities figured out they were experiments they started their own form of government in which Johanna Reyes is the leader and i am her assistant. I manage, but every waking moment i am constantly being pulled out of one memory or another. So much so that i was almost fired, but Johanna was former Amity, she would never do anything more than threaten me. I file papers and think about what Tris would be doing had she not sacrificed herself three years ago for her coward of a brother. I don't see Caleb, not that i would want to. The times i do run into him i often get hit with a rush of overwhelming saddnes, they don't look too much alike but that was her last blood connection, and it's all i have in me not to strangle the life out of him.

As i often do after work i walked over to my old Abnegation house. Walking over to the hidden mirror i see a reflection but i know it's not me. I haven't been me in three years. Pulling the syringe out of my coat pocket i set it on my old bedside table and stare intently at it. I think about using it, as i always do. But maybe if i left it here it wouldn't tempt me every waking moment of my life. "I wouldn't do that if I were you" a girls voice came from behind me. "Go away Christina." i say bluntly. "You really think i sound like a smart-mouthed Candor? I'm insulted." the girl said. I knew her voice, it sounded familiar but distant. Almost as distant as three years. I hesitantly turn to face her and see her smiling face. My heart races, my head is pounding, and i can't seem to speak. "Tris?"

Song of the chapter: Amnesia by 5SOS