Christmas

Tobias' POV

Our first real fight as a married couple happened about a week before Christmas. It wasn't like us. There was lots of yelling, and I'm still trying to find a replacement lamp for the living room. I'm not really sure what the fight was about, but it didn't take long for me to start yelling and then crack up when I mess up my words. It was resolved that night, with lots of kissing, and other things... 

It's Christmas and we got Natalie the puppy she wanted. It's a puppy Pembroke welsh corgi, and we decided to let Natalie name her. She's already house trained so that makes things relatively easier. We were hoping that the puppy will cheer Natalie up. Apparently she heard our fight and hates me now. I'm crushed. She won't even go near me. Tris says it's because she and Caleb would fight frequently but when i look at her she looks like i did when i was being beat by Marcus, terrified. That's the last thing i wanted, to become my father. 

Natalie never really had a proper Christmas, so she was extremely excited when we mentioned toys were involved. She woke us up and practically dragged Tris down the stairs to the tree. I on the other hand was left in the room. It hurt more than anything. I think her dying would have been better than this, at least she wouldn't have been afraid of me. I go into Mason's and Kayla's rooms and bring them down too. I set them down in their swings and take my place handing out the presents. After Natalie opened what felt like thousands of toys and clothes I went into our laundry room and picked up the puppy. "Natalie i think this is for you" i say putting the puppy on the floor. Instead of the ecstatic reaction i expected she screamed causing the twins to cry. I picked the frightened puppy up and put her back in the laundry room. Walking out I crouched in front of Tris and Natalie. "Princess what's wrong. I thought you wanted a puppy." I say. And in the first time in a week Natalie hugs me. It's almost like she is trying to crawl into me to get away from the dog. "Th-the last one hurt me." she cried. I looked up at Tris who was rubbing small circles on Natalie's back. "What do you mean the last one?" she asks. "The lady said to-to choose. I didn't and the doggy hurt me"  she stuttered. That sounded familiar. Tris mouthed the words aptitude test to me and i knew that Caleb, that bastard, put my daughter through the old aptitude test. "Sweety that wasn't real. I promise. Do you want to see her. I can hold her if you want." i said wiping the tears from her face. She sniffs and nods. Tris gets up and tries to get the twins to stop crying as i go and get the puppy. I sit on the couch and hold the active puppy in my hands. "It's a girl. I was going to let you name her." I said. Natalie carefully places a hand on the puppies head as if to see if it would attack her. When all the puppy did was lick her hand she giggled and said "Princess" I look at her for an explanation. "I'm your princess. She can be mine." Natalie smiles and lets Princess continue to lick her hand. "Princess it is then." 

I let Natalie and Tris play with Princess while i make pancakes. I can't help but smile. She's back, my little girl is back. I don't know why but i'm the one she goes to when she's scared. I made a promise to myself once she cried into my chest that I would never yell again. Or if i did, not in front of her. As i was flipping the last of the pancakes a pair of small arms wrap around my waist. "He's a jerk." Tris said. "What?" "Caleb, he put my baby through the aptitude test at the age of three. Who does that? Especially considering she's his niece." She says as to not let Natalie hear her. "I'm not sure. We can talk about it later. Everyone's coming over for dinner. After that we can talk all night." i smiled. She left and shortly came back in with three small boxes. "I know you will love them." she smiles and hand's me the first. It's a black watch and the four and six are enlarged and written in red. The next was the picture taken when we moved here, Natalie and her cheesy grin sitting on my shoulders. The next was a picture of me holding Mason and Tris holding Kayla with Natalie looking at them. "How was this taken?" i ask keeping my eyes on the picture. "Christina took it. I guess she was spying." she giggles. "They're beautiful. Just like you" i say laying down the picture and pulling her in for a kiss. 

At dinner we had so much food there almost wasn't room for cake. Almost. Natalie and Cara were playing with Princess and the rest of us sat on the couch watching. Christina held Kayla and Zeke held Mason. "Guys guess what." Shauna blurted. She had been watching Zeke hold Mason for a while now. "I'm three months pregnant." she said quietly. Zeke handed Mason to Uriah, turned around, and kissed Shauna. "Best Christmas EVER!" he exclaimed. After a bunch of congratulations we started to tease Uriah and Marlene. They were the odd ones out. "Well since no one seemed to notice at dinner i guess i'll tell you now. Not to steal your thunder but..." Marlene said holding up her hand revealing a ring on her left hand. Uriah just smiled his stupid grin and looked at Mason. More congratulations and then after hours of talking we decided it was time for everyone to leave. 

The twins were in bed so were Tris and Natalie. I was outside while Princess did her business. When she came back i walked inside and led her back to the laundry room where she would sleep for now. "Daddy?" came a groggy voice from outside the door. "What are you still doing up?" i asked closing the door behind me. "I don't feel good" she said raising her arms. I pulled her up and held her. "Where does it hurt?" i ask. She shakes her head. "It doesn't hurt. Just feels funny." she said as she fell back asleep on my shoulder. I carried her back to her room and sat on her floor next to her bed. "Want me to stay?" i ask quietly. She nods and I rub her back until she falls asleep. 

The next morning i wake up to crying and Tris violently shaking my shoulder. "What's wrong." i ask rubbing the sleep out of my eyes. I look at the clock on the wall. It's six o'clock. "She's won't wake up." Tris cried. "What?" i asked sitting up faster than ever. "She told me last night she didn't feel good. I told her to sleep it off. She's not waking up we have to take her to the hospital. I get up without question and run to Natalie's room. Tris grabs the twins, after the incident with Nat we don't take chances anymore. Putting her in my arms i can feel she's still breathing, just not waking up.