Resurgent

Tris' POV

We pull up to a small gray building. An all too familiar gray building. "My old house?" i ask. "He moved in when the factions were destroyed." Tobias said. I was sitting in the back seat with Natalie laying lifeless in my lap. When we stopped the car Tobias took her and rushed inside while i grabbed the twins out of their seats. I walk in the door to see Caleb sitting at our old dinning table. When he see's me his eye's go wild. "Who's are those?" he asks pointing to the two baby carriers. "Mine. Now why are we here?" i say quickly dismissing the topic. "You saved Tris, you killed Natalie now save her." Tobias said in his old instructor voice. Caleb nods and takes Natalie out of his arms and walks to the bedroom. I go to follow but Tobias puts his arm on my shoulder to stop me. "I need to explain."

While waiting for Caleb to return Tobias explained everything. "When you were shot. You did in fact die. How Natalie survived is beyond me but i went to Caleb. He had been researching a new serum called the resurgent serum, meaning something that revived. I demanded he give it too you. Apparently it worked. But he told me it didn't, i suppose so he could test on you. That's why i didn't really have a giant freak out when you found me. There was always that voice in the back of my mind that told me you were alive." he said. Not once did he meet my eyes. "Oh" it's all i managed. I died. I came back. How did i not know this? "I'm so glad you're back. I don't think i'll ever repay Caleb. Even if he is an asshole, he brought you back." he said. Then turning to Mason, who he was holding, he said "Don't repeat that." i laughed a little and heard the creak of a door. Caleb comes back out with Natalie in his hands and i stand up. "She will be ok. Just give it a few days. It took Tris a week to wake up." he said handing her over. She wasn't so pale anymore, and wasn't breathing properly but breathing none the less. I carefully place her on the couch and give Caleb a hug. At first he was tense but after he realized he wasn't being attacked he hugged me back. "Thank you." i said. He was about to reply but i wasn't finished. "Now leave my family alone." i said. Tobias picked up the twins and i carried Natalie back to the car. As we pulled away i could see Caleb peering out the window. I don't hate him, but i don't love him anymore. He killed my daughter, tested on the both of us like we were lab rats, but he did give us our life back. 

We put the babies to bed and set Natalie in her room. Tobias stands with me in the door way and we watch her breathe. It sounds stupid but I can't describe the euphoric feeling i had when Caleb told me she was alive. "I don't want to leave her." i whisper. Tobias leaves the room and comes back with the baby monitor from Kayla's room. "She's been sleeping better anyway." he whispers. Putting the monitor on her bedside table we take one last look and walk to our room hand in hand.

I'm crying hysterically. Tobias is glossy eyed and holding me in his strong arms. I don't know how long i've been sitting like this but it must have been an hour. "We lost her." i keep repeating those three words over and over until i realized their meaning. "Do you realize how close we were to losing our first born. She was the only thing keeping me sane in those labs. She loved you more than anything. I-I..." i trail off. Tobias squeezes me tighter, it hurts and feels good at the same time. "I know. I love her too. If I actually have to say that. But the only thing we can do now is take life in the moment and enjoy every single one." he says kissing me. We sit there and kiss for a long time and only when we need air do we see it's two in the morning. I fall asleep with Tobias' arms wrapped around my waist. Smelling his scent which makes me feel safe. Taking in the now.