The Fence

Tris' POV

"Amar can you go any faster?" i scream. He is driving while i'm laying in the back seat. "I'm going as fast as i can sweetheart. Just hold in there" I feel another contraction and grip the seat tightly. Breathe in and out in and out. "Amar" i groan and the contraction subsides. "They're twenty minutes away what does that mean?" he says looking in the rear view mirror. "It means you better get me the fuck home or i'm having this baby in this truck" i shout. "Calm down i can see the fence. I'd say about another hour till we get there. Then however long until you get to your house." i sigh and look out the window. Tobias is just an hour away. "Tobias said he'll meet us there right?" he nods and steps on the gas pedal. We are now at the outskirts of the amity fields that have been regained by amity in the past few months. When i get home i will be an instructor for Dauntless and the faction leader. I will train eighteen year old's to work the fence, be policemen and women, and other various Dauntless jobs. I've also just had the realization that Natalie will have to choose when she is eighteen how she wants to live her life based on on characteristic. I don't know if i should feel concerned. At eighteen she will be a legal adult and she can still return home, but i fear that something about her choosing isn't going to go over well.

"Amar we have a problem" i say feeling the damp seat that i'm sitting on. "What's that?" i take a shaky breath "My water just broke" i say through the beginning of the contraction. Its stronger just like they are after the water breaks. "What does that mean?" i sigh again. "It means the baby is coming. Very. Soon." my contractions are five minutes apart, my water broke, and we aren't at the fence yet. "Amar what if we don't make it." i cry. "Don't worry sweetheart we'll make it." he says. I can tell he's nervous because he constantly checks on me in the mirror. "We're at the fence." he announces. I sit up slightly to see us going through the fence. I frantically search for Tobias' truck and when i see him i instantly feel relieved. Amar jumps out of the car and runs to Tobias leaving me in the car in pain as another contraction starts. "TOBIAS" I scream hoping he'll come faster. "Tris, Tris come on we have to get you home." i nod and he picks me up seeing as though i can't walk. "Tobias. I'm not going to make it home." i say shaking my head. His eyes grow wide then fill with sympathy. "Ok. Amar do you have a sheet or something?" Amar shakes his head and Tobias takes me to his truck and throws the keys at Amar. "I'll tell you how to get there just get us home." Amar nods and gets in the drivers seat and Tobias joins me in the back. "It's ok. We're going to be fine." he says holding my hand as i feel the contraction start. "Call...Aggghhh... the... the... midwife" he nods and calls our midwife telling her to meet us at the house.

"Tobias. I can't wait. I have to push." i scream. We aren't anywhere near our house. It's about an hour and a half away from the fence and we've been driving for half an hour. "Tris. Please i can't deliver a baby. Just hold on please." he begs. But it's no use. I slide my sweatpants down then my underwear. "Tobias. I. CAN'T. I NEED to push." i say as i start pushing. "Tris I-I..." he trails off and see's the sweat rolling down my forehead. "Ok. Should I. I mean. Do I?" he stutters. I grunt and moan in pain but manage to talk "Yes. Look. I need to push. NOW" i say screaming. This is the worst part. He looks down and looks like he might vomit. "Tobias please pull...pull yourself together. This isn't a time to chicken out" i cry. I'm sweaty and tired and more importantly i want this baby out. "Ok. Ok. I'm good." He looks again and i can see he doesn't want to do this. "I see his head." he states simply. "I told you i had to push" i retort. Soon another contraction comes and i push. "Ok. Good job, the shoulders are out. Just a few more and we'll have our baby boy" he smiles up at me but i'm too miserable to smile back. I push one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight, nine, ten. "Aghhh" i scream in pain and i hear the most beautiful sound ever. He cries.

"He's here. Tris you did it." Tobias smiles and hands our baby boy to me. "And in good timing. We're here." Amar says from the front seat. "Can you send the midwife out here?" I ask looking at my son. Amar nods and leaves us alone. "I can't believe i just delivered a baby." Tobias says looking at me. "You were perfect" He smiles and kisses my forehead "You were perfect." he whispers. We had already picked out a name so i whisper "Happy birthday Nicholas Zeke Eaton"