|11| Be Nice To Her

"Oi Adelaide! You're a girl!" James called out.

"Very well spotted." Adelaide said rolling her eyes and continuing her chess game with peter in the corner of the common room.

James moved a chair beside her, then moved her chess piece just before she had a chance to. It wasn't the move she was going to make, but she nodded; it was better than what she would have done.

"Addy, my dear, lovely, wonderful, terrifyingly brilliant—"

"Get to the point James," Adelaide said in a bored tone, eyes fixed on Peter as he hesitantly planned his next move.

"Do you know Lily Evans?"

"Well duh. We sleep in the same room," she said annoyed, still not looking up. She then groaned. Peter took her bishop.

"Does she ever talk about me?" he asked.

"Yes," she said absently. She moved her knight to take out Peters rook. "Ha! Take that!"

"Really?! What does she say?!" James asked excitedly.

Peter smirked as he moved to take Adelaide's knight. "Check," he said sweetly.

"Ughhh! Peter you cheater!" Adelaide exclaimed realizing she had fallen for his trap, completely ignoring James's question.

James was getting annoyed with her not paying attention to him and moved the piece she needed to check Peter and eventually win the game. (James was very good at chess, in case you haven't noticed.)

"You're the cheater!" Peter exclaimed while standing up, his blue eyes narrowed pointing between Adelaide and James. Adelaide grinned.

"Addy! What does Lily say about me?!" James asked again, more obnoxiously, almost whinging.

Adelaide smiled watching Peter flounder, desperately thinking of a way to protect his king. It was hopeless. "She says your immature and annoying and I quote 'an arrogant toe-rag'—She calls you that a lot. I don't even really know what a toe-rag is, but it can't be good if she's using it to describe you," she laughed.

"W-what?" James said sadly, voice cracking. Adelaide finally looked to the boy who secured her chess victory and was surprised to find him looking quite crestfallen.

"Um... well you had to know she wasn't your biggest fan... Snivellus is her best friend and we prank him like three times a week," she said, trying to be compassionate. Since when did James care what Lily thought of him? Since when did James care what anyone thought of him?

"Well obviously I knew I wasn't her favorite, but I didn't think she hated me..." he said watching as Peter moved his chess piece, insuring Adelaide's win.

"Check mate," Adelaide said quickly to Pouty Peter, before turning her attention fully to Pouty James. "Look, I don't think Lily is capable of actually hating anyone, Jamie. But if it bothers you that much... Why don't you just... just try being nice to her every once and a while." 

"Be nice to her?" he said looking more optimistic, too optimistic. A mischievous smile was creeping up at the corners of his mouth. Oh, good Godric, Adelaide thought to herself. "I'm going to be so nice to Lily Evans she won't even know what hit her—then she won't think I'm a toe-rag thing anymore!" James pronounced, clearly very pleased with himself.

***

James Potter was indeed nice to Lily Evans. Very nice. Disturbingly nice. He offered to hold her books on the way to classes (even though she never let him), gave her his jacket when he saw her 'out in the elements' (even though she always handed it back ), complemented her non-stop (even though she generally ignored him doing so), and gave her flowers nearly every day (she actually kept these sometimes).