|61| Being Best Friends and All

James took a big bite of his liquorish wand. "Grindelwald? You're sure it was him?"

"I mean, it looked a lot like him from the pictures I've seen..." Adelaide trailed off, taking a swig of some butterbeer they smuggled into the castle the week before.

"But the girl? Who was she?" Remus asked just before biting the head off of a chocolate frog.

"Whoever it was, it really seemed to rattle him." Sirius shrugged, taking a big gulp of Adelaide's butterbeer, much to her annoyance.

The Marauders had been up for hours listening to Adelaide and Sirius tell and retell the exciting events that transpired during the others' detention; dissecting every detail, as they were prone to do.

"Figures that while we're stuck dusting stupid bookcases, you're off reading the mind of the greatest wizard of all time." James scoffed.

"It's a little strange that it keeps happening though... First Riddle, now Dumbledore..." Peter trailed off lost in thought as he shoved a handful of fudge flies into his mouth.

It was strange, Adelaide thought, that she was able to see his thoughts at all. Could she be a legilimens and not know it? Maybe she just hadn't really tried before...

"Ads... why are you staring at me like that?!" Sirius exclaimed upon noticing Adelaide's burning gaze.

"Trying to read your mind." She muttered.

The other boys all laughed at Sirius's look of utter horror. "No no no! No fishing around in my brain!" Sirius said, throwing his hands over his head, as if this would shield his thoughts.

"Addy, you're wasting your time trying to read his mind..." James smirked.

"Shush! I think I can do it!" She said impatiently, predatory gaze still firmly fixed on her best friend as he tried to fend her off with a pillow.

"No! Ads! You're wasting your time because there's nothing going on up there!" James said emphatically.

A beat passed.

Sirius looked utterly indignant.

Then all the Marauders (minus Sirius) broke out into violent fits of laughter.

"It wasn't even that funny!" Sirius complained.

Adelaide wiped a tear from her eye, still chuckling. "B-but your face! It was priceless!" she said, dissolving back into giggles just at the memory.

"Out, Fawley!" Sirius said dramatically, pointing toward the door.

Adelaide looked confused. Was he really trying to kick her out?! "No! You can't kick me out!"

Peter looked between the two... wondering if a fight was about to break out.

"Oh yes I can! This is the boys dorm!" He said, noticing a thought flicker in Adelaide's eyes.

"So, you're saying I have to leave because I'm a girl?" She asked innocently.

"Y-yes." Sirius's said with as much confidence as he could. This was a terribly thought out plan, he thought—there was a very good chance she would hex him.

"Well then, let me just solve that issue." She smirked.

"Solve wha— oh come on!" Sirius said to the fluffy white cat purring on the floor in front of him.

"She bested you at your own game, Pads." Remus smirked. "Goodnight Ads!"

"Meow."

Adelaide lazily padded her way across the room and onto Sirius's bed, cozying up beside his pillow.