|67| Berwin

It was yet another dreary, rainy day, the third week of what was turning out to be a very boring summer for Sirius Black. James was out of the country with his parents for another two weeks, meaning Sirius was mostly confined to the stimulating company of his lovely mother, father, and bird obsessed little brother.

To make matters even more dismal, Sirius was currently locked in his room until dinner after an enthusiastic disagreement with his mother over 'proper breakfast etiquette'.

After exhausting his normal forms of solitary amusement (banging his head against the wall, writing yet another letter to Addy that would never get to her, and adding a few new prank ideas to his 'idea journal,' etc.), he finally picked up the muggle book that Remus had given him. It was a book about wizards and magic, that had apparently been written by a muggle, which Sirius found rather amusing.

"Hairy feet and likes to eat? I think Peter is related to this Baggins fellow..." he murmured to himself with a light chuckle.

He was ripped out of his thoughts on what a hobbit even was by barn owl, specifically a pale barn owl with a white heart shaped face and an orange and grey body, which was pecking his bedroom window frantically. This was definitely not an owl Sirius had ever seen before, so he was quite curious as to who could possibly be writing to him. 

He sloppily dog eared the page he was reading, and placed the book down on the bed without looking, then raced over to the tall window, pulling the velvet drapes aside to make way for the determined bird.

The moment he opened the window, the rain soaked owl immediately walked in as if it owned the place and sassily stuck out its foot for the boy to untie the letter (which he did, quickly). The owl, while indubitably bossier than any owl Sirius had ever met, was also quite affectionate and nuzzled his hand until he stroked its feathers.

Sirius opened the letter and instantly recognized the untidy, almost illegible handwriting, and nearly fainted from happiness as he collapsed onto his bed.

SIRI!

I GOT AN OWL TODAY! HIS NAME IS BERWIN! ISN'T HE THE MOST BEAUTIFUL CREATURE YOU HAVE EVER SEEN!? (He will bite if you don't pet him, FYI.)

My dad got him for me because I did well in my classes or something, but I think he was just tired of having to see me mope around... But the point is, now I can send letters to you and everyone else and I swear I'm so happy I could cry!

Actually I did. At the store. It was a little embarrassing...

How has your summer been? Mine has been dreadful... until now... because I have an owl!

But honestly, what have you been up to? Have you seen any of the boys? Read any good books? Have you been getting on with Reggie? What sorts of pranks have you come up with? What about your parents, have they been ghastly? Have you seen Tom? I hope you haven't. I think he's coming to my house for dinner in a few weeks... I'll keep you updated.

Mother hasn't been home all that much lately, but father has and I've been going to work with him more often than usual. Been a little strange to be honest. I think they got in a row about something, from the way they're acting. Probably had a disagreement on who hated muggles more. ;)

Well, I think that's just about everything. I really miss seeing your ugly misshapen face everyday and hope you're coming to that pretentious gala in a few weeks. It's at Evan's house, so I'm hoping Mary comes too. It would be so much fun to watch them try to out awkward each other again, don't you think?

Write me back as soon as possible!

Love from,
Addy

Ps. No, Mum hasn't hurt me. And yes, I'm okay... bored out of my mind, but otherwise okay.