|33| Stop Smiling Fawley!

Emmeline was casually eating her lunch the week of exams for everyone that wasn't a 5th or 7th year, when she was startled by the tight embrace of a gangly, messy haired boy with crooked glasses. (Fabian glared ever so slightly at the hugging boy.)

"Oomph!"

"Thank you thank you thank you Em! You are a miracle worker! I don't know what you said to her, but she's been her nice normal self since Saturday and Sirius said it was only after you talked to her!" James said, still hugging the seventh year girl.

"Oh! Adelaide?" She laughed. "Well I'm glad she's doing well!" James finally let go, much to Fabian's relief.

"Better than well! She hasn't been this happy since before Christmas! You have no idea!" James beamed. His face then instantly dropped. "You're leaving."

"I am Potts." She said sadly.

"Do you think... Addy could, I dunno, owl you or something? You're the only one than can get through to her. Not even Sirius could get her out of that funk!"

Emmeline smiled, she had no idea that her little words of advice were so impactful, but she was glad they were. "Sure, I don't see why not. Here's where she can reach me, though I'm sure an owl would find me well enough without it." She laughed, quickly summoning a quill and parchment to write down her address.

"Perfect! Thank you Em!" James said happily, taking the parchment from her hands, then trotting back over to his friends.

"Oi! Potts! Tell Little Porskoff to try out for the team next year!" Gideon called out from behind him. James  turned around with a lopsided grin and gave the older redhead a little salute, then rushed back over to his friends.

"Ads! Addy!" James exclaimed plopping himself down next to Sirius. "I got Emmeline's address... you know in case you wanted to owl her over the summer or something... if they let you send owls that is.." James ended awkwardly. Adelaide was indeed back to her normal spunky moody self, but the weeks, or really months, of unprompted outbursts still made him wary.

"Oh! That's great!" She beamed. "She's very nice. She would have been a good Hufflepuff." She nodded to herself.

"Emmeline the Adelaide Whisperer," Sirius mused, "bit of a mouthful, but I think it works." He shrugged. "Oh no, here comes the snake." He said, watching Evan Rosier doggedly make his way over to Addy to bother her... again.

Adelaide watched him approach as well, her eyebrows furrowed, gnawing on the side of her lower lip, and nose scrunched up slightly.

"Addy, please let me explain," he requested half-heartedly, bracing himself for the silencing spell.

"Okay." She said simply.

"I know, I know you don't want me to call you Addy anymore, but please hear me out." He continued, not registering her words.

Remus looked amused.

"I said okay." She calmly stated again. Mary looked very surprised from where she sat down the table.

"W-Wait... really?! You're not going to hex me or something?" He asked suspiciously.

She laughed slightly. "No, I'm not going to hex you... unless you give me a reason to." She added, smirking.

And with that the two walked out of the great hall and into the entrance courtyard to sit upon a bench in the warm June air.

"I-I didn't really expect you to let me talk..." Evan began slowly.

"Well, I'm in a good mood, better hurry up before it changes." She joked.

Evan nodded, realizing there was some truth to her words. "Um. Well I know you think I'm a big Prejudiced Toad, I think that's what Mary called me, and well you wouldn't have been wrong earlier this year. You've got to know what it's like, hearing all this stuff about how awful mud- I mean muggleborns are your whole life, just to come to school and find out they aren't magic stealing monsters. Honestly, I think Lily is probably the nicest person I've ever met. She's friends with Sev, which is nearly impossible, and I've never seen her cross with anyone besides you Marauders." He laughed. "When Mary and I were talking, I was trying to say how impressed I was with her, but it came out all wrong... and I accidentally called her a mudblood. But Ads! I didn't mean it like that! It's what everyone at home, and most of the people in Slytherin, always call muggleborns and it just slipped out..."