|19| Can't Have You Dying On Us Now

Adelaide was awake, but just barely. She could hardly tell what was going on. She was laying in a bed in a very bright white room, she felt like death itself, and felt far too weak to even open her eyes, let alone say anything.

She heard bits and pieces of a conversation going on beside her.

"I t-told you she w-was fine this morning!" a girl sobbed. "W-we were in the dorm, I p-painted her n-nails and we ate sweets and talked. W-we went-t to go fly and then she started to f-feel nauseous... One second sh-she was f-f-fine and then she-she just wasn't! I d-didnt-t m-m-mean for th-thi-this—" she said finally dissolving into tears.

"No one blames you, Mary," said a comforting voice Adelaide recognized as Remus. "She just got sick, it happens..."

"Poppy, do you know what's wrong with her?" James asked calmly.

"I've taken some tests just to be sure, but I believe she has one of the magical strains of flu going around... Though, I must admit her's is a rather severe case... I've given her some potions to ease her symptoms, but other than that she needs rest," Poppy told the people nearby. "I will also need to contact her parents to notify them of her condition. They may need to take her to Saint Mungo's if her condition doesn't improve..."

Adelaide mustered all the strength she had to open her eyes and protest. "No," she said in a small voice.

"Addy!" Sirius elbowed his way past Poppy and James to kneel beside her bed. "You can't owl her parents!" he said desperately, turning to the healer. "You just can't—That'll only stress her out more!"

"I'm sorry Mr. Black, but it's school policy tha—"

"I don't bloody well care about school policy! You can't owl them!" he lashed out at the woman.

"Sirius..." Adelaide said quietly, eyes fluttering closed. She wanted to tell him to stop barking at everyone like an annoying Chihuahua, but she fell asleep before she could get to that part.

*

When Adelaide finally awoke she felt less like she was going to die at any moment, but only by a bit. She opened her eyes and saw through her dizzy feverish haze that she was still in the infirmary, but it was much darker than she remembered it. It must've been night time... the time everyone should have been asleep... yet, she could hear two voices arguing. Odd.

She turned her head slightly and realized it was Sirius arguing with Poppy. Typical, she thought to herself. Over protective Sirius acting like he knew everything.

"I don't care. I'm not leaving her like this," said Sirius firmly, pointing at Adelaide.

"Leaving me like what?" Adelaide croaked softly before coughing a few times.

"Addy!" he exclaimed turning to face her with a wide, relieved smile. She always liked his smile, especially when he was smiling at her—

"Move aside, move aside, Mr. Black!" Poppy said shooing the boy away. Poppy gave Addy a few different (disgusting) potions to drink and asked her and exhausting amount of questions about the state of her health that ended in Adelaide having a coughing fit.

"She's tired. Can't you ask those questions later?" Sirius asked the Matron.

"Mr. Black, unless you would like to take over my position as healer, I would ask that you please let me do my job," the matron snapped, clearly irritated.

"All I'm saying is I know Addy, and I know when she's being too polite to stick up for herself," he said, grey eyes boring into the older woman.

Adelaide hated to admit it to herself, but he was sort of right.