|80| Sluggy's Party

Upon learning that Lily was secretly harboring James Potter's favorite blanket, Adelaide's mind was swirling with questions. How did this happen? Was James the reason she was in such a good mood that Wednesday night? And if so, how was that even possible? After all, Lily begrudgingly tolerated James Potter's presence at the best of times; despised him at the worst.

As she walked back through the castle to the Great Hall with her purple hat (handmade by Remus with little cat ears) in one hand and her handbag clutched in the other, Adelaide mulled over what course of action she was going to take.

She could confront Lily directly, but that might set the sneaky little ginger off... and seeing how upset she was earlier that week, Adelaide wasn't sure if she was really willing to poke that sleeping dragon.

Of course, Adelaide could also just go to James for information. But there were two problems with that option. First, James was prone to hyperbole in matters concerning Lilith, so his information might not be the most reliable. Second, it felt wrong going behind Lily's back... No, that would have to be her last resort.

But, what if she were to just observe Lily for a while? She could see if there was anything different between her and James, and this also gave Lily a chance to explain on her own.

Adelaide decided that she would sit back and simply see how matters unfolded... well until she left for Christmas break that is.

***

It would be safe to say Adelaide and Sirius's double date with Mary and Evan was disastrous. They quickly learned that Mary and Evan's awkwardness was a lot more entertaining from afar, and suggested that they end their day a bit earlier than originally planned... using the poor weather as an excuse. The only good thing to come of the outing was that Adelaide and Mary got a chance to buy their dresses for the Slug Club Christmas Party.

While Mary hadn't been formally invited by Evan yet, it was a safe bet that he would sputter it out eventually... or so they thought.

"The party is tomorrow, Adelaide. TOMORROW! He's hardly talked to me at all since our date... I really think that if he was going to ask he would have done it by now..." Mary said sadly from where she lay on her bed the last Thursday of the semester sometime after lunch. "I mean Sirius asked you with those obnoxious balloons days and days ago! And he wasn't even technically invited!"

"Well... It's not like I was going to take anyone else..." Adelaide chuckled nervously. Truth be told, she was just as anxious about whatever Evan was planning as Mary.

"But you know what I mean!" Mary said exasperatedly. "I was so excited to go... not just to go with him, but to get dressed up and hang out with you and the others too... I bought that dress and everything... but now I'm going to be all alone in this sad cold dorm while you three are out having the night of your lives!" she said, voice getting squeakier the more worked up she became.

"It's going to work out Mare, I promise." Adelaide said reassuringly, cursing herself for promising something like that. "Come on, we should head to class."

"What's the point! My life is over!" Mary said wallowing on the floor in misery, hamming things up slightly.

Adelaide rolled her eyes. "The point is we have a test in Herbology..."

"Shoot. I forgot about that... alright, I'll go... But if I'm not going to a real party, you need to at least let me have a pity party up here when we get back, okay?"

"Sure... Can we just go?" Adelaide asked, throwing her bag over her shoulder.

*