Chapter 5

As I had arrived early at the office, the place was quiet and my heels made loud clicking noises across the foyer echoing and as I climbed the stairs. I had dressed extra smartly today and even made an effort with my unruly hair, all in an attempt to stay determined about my decision to quit and go on tour with Niall, I mean I don't have any doubts about going with Niall.

It's going to be fun and exciting.Plus I will be able to spend more time with him. What could be bad about that?

I opened the door, put my stuff down on my desk and made a coffee. I had to get my thoughts in order, I took my resignation letter out of my bag and placed in on my desk ready for when Jeff arrived.

It was 10am before Jeff walked through the door,and by this time I was starting to lose my nerve.

"Good morning. Nice to see you are here nice and early." He said as he swished past my desk into his office.

"Good morning Jeff," I said as I stood and followed him with my letter in hand. "I have all your appointments lined up for today." I paused, taking a breath, I continued. "And also I need to give you this." I placed the letter on his desk.

Jeff sat down, a confused look drifted across his face as he looked down at the envelope, then back up at me.

"What is this?" He asked.

"I'm leaving and going to work for Niall." I said. " I want you to know I really appreciate the opportunity and the support you have given me but it's time for a change. I have enjoyed working here and I will help make sure there is a smooth handover for the new person."

"Finished?" He asked.

I nodded.

"Wow. You know I was only joking yesterday about resigning? Honestly, I'm a bit shocked. Are you sure you want to go and run off with Niall's crew?" He asked.

"Yes." I wanted to point out, also, that I wasn't 'running off' but I let it go.

"Well," Jeff breathed, clearly not happy about the thought of having to hire someone to replace me. " When are you wanting to leave?"

"Um, in about 10 days as Niall's tour starts and I would like to travel with him." I replied shifting from one foot to the other.

Sitting up sharply, suddenly realisation and panic sinking in, he narrowed his eyes and squaring his jaw.

"I'm sorry to burst your bubble but there is no way you are leaving me in the lurch. As per your contract you have to give me four weeks notice and assist me in looking for a replacement. I appreciate that you recognise I have given you a chance and opportunity, a foot in the door of possibility, so to speak, to find yourself a place in this industry but you have to understand that you need to abide by your contractual obligations." He spouted.

My mouth dropped open and then shut it whilst he spoke, my heart sinking that would have to delay accompanying Niall on tour.

"Oh, well if that's the issue, I can organise and train a temp for the time being if that makes it easier, Surely you don't need me to stay that long?" I asked hopefully.

"No that is not possible. I don't want a Temp person trained and then the Temp training a permanent person. And yes you will stay for the duration of your notice period. Unfortunately I can not see any other way unless you want to ruin your chances of getting anywhere in this business or work again as a PA for anyone." He seethed.

Swallowing back a lump that had formed in my throat and blinking back the tears forming in my eyes.

"Um, okay. Well I wasn't expecting this sort of reaction to be honest. I have really enjoyed working here and for you. I have meet loads of people thanks to you giving me a chance and, like you said, a foot in the door. I just thought you may have been a little more supportive of my choice to expand my horizons and challenge myself. Of course I will carry out my contractual obligations and not shirk my responsibilities. I would never do that." I replied, impressed my voice wasn't shaking but staying steady. Not like the inside of my body which was threatening to burst.