Chapter 21

Chapter 21

Niall

“Whoa! Easy there.” I said, as a blonde girl dressed in a denim jacket, followed by three more girls, shoved the door open.
“Watch it!” She yelled, before she looked up to see me standing in front of her.
“Oh my god! Niall!! Ahhhhh! I’m so sorry! I didn’t realise it was you.” She gushed as her friends piled up behind her, trying to get a better view.
I gave them all a smile and stepped out of the way, holding the door open for them to pass through. But instead, the blonde stepped closer, touching my hand which was holding the door open, then leaning forwards so I could smell her sickly sweet perfume.
“I’m so sorry that she broke your heart. But we,” she said indicating to her friends, “ gave her a piece of our minds and told her that she should stay away from you. You will be better off without her in your life anyways.”
My mouth fell open with shock. I couldn’t believe what I was hearing. How did they even know about Lily or what happened?!
Dylan cleared his throat next to me, nudging me into saying something, as so to diffuse the situation, as this was the last thing I wanted in the gossip magazines.
“Ah, you didn't have to do that.” I replied in a clear voice and slid my hand from underneath hers whilst still holding the door.
“I’m not sure what you’ve heard but there is no need for anyone to get involved in my private life as that's what it is, private. Now if you don’t mind my friend and I would like to go in to get a drink.”
Looking a bit crushed at being told off, she glanced back at her friends and then back to me.
“Well, we are here for you Niall, whatever you decide as we love you even if she doesn’t. I have dm’d you my number on Instagram if want to talk...or whatever.” She gave my a wink then left with her friends in tow. Leaving Dylan and I looking at each other, wondering what just happened.
“That was weird.” He said, looking over in the direction in which the girls had disappeared in.
Shrugging in response, I said “Let’s get that drink aye?”
Just as we walked through the door, a short brunette appeared with Lily. It looked like they were leaving.
I felt my heart start to race, and my mouth go dry, as I looked her over, she stared at me with her big eyes, just as surprised to see me as I was her. She looked good, a little wet, her shirt was clinging to her skin, making her lacy bra visible.
I met her gaze, then looked away nervously, unsure of what to say to her. Dylan, picking up on this awkward moment, pushed past me to introduce himself.
“Hi, I’m Dylan.” he said, sticking his hand out at Lily.
Disappointment crossed briefly over her face when she realised I wasn't making an effort to speak to her. Her eyes shifted from me to Dylan.
“Hi, I’m Lily.” She replied, taking his hand to shake it. His eyes widening slightly and gave me a side glance, as the realisation hit him that this was the love of my life standing in front of me, the girl that broke my heart and slept with Harry.
Quickly composing himself, he turned his attention back to her as she introduced her friend.
“And this is Jo.” She continued as Jo shook Dylan’s hand, saying “Hi”.
“Well, I guess you both know my friend Niall here.”
Startling me, as he put an arm around my neck, pulling me in close. I could feel myself blushing and laughed nervously.
“Ahem..I don’t believe I’ve met Jo before. Hi there.” I said, putting a hand up in a quick wave then shoving it back into my pocket, avoiding Lily’s gaze.
“Well, it was nice meeting you both, but ah, Lily needs to change.” Jo nodded to Lily.
“Um….what happened?” I asked, finally finding my voice and refocusing on her soaked through shirt.
“It doesn't matter…” “Some nut job fans..” Lily and Jo spoke at the same time.
I looked from one to the other girl, trying to figure out what was going on.
“It's nothing..” Lily said, looking at the ground, her hair falling forward to cover her face.
I stepped in close to her and placed a gently thumb under her chin, raising her head to meet my  eyes. I could her beautiful pools of green, filling with tears.
“What happened?” I asked, softly, moving my hand from under her chin, to tuck her hair behind her ears.
Before she could answer, I felt a hand on my forearm. My eyes left Lily’s face and darted down to see the hand belonged to Jo. I looked up as she spoke.
“Maybe we should find a place to go so you two can talk? Lily really has to freshen up, she smells like a brewery.” She joked and jabbed Lily in the side.
Lily rolled her eyes at Jo and gave her a “thanks a lot” look.
“Right, yes... Um..” I stammered. “ I suppose your place would be best then you can shower and change?” I suggested, looking at Lily.
“Sure, okay.” She replied.
She sounds as unsure about this conversation as I do, thinking to myself.
“So, should we meet you there?” Dylan, suddenly joining us after observing the last few minutes of the moment. I’d almost forgotten he was there.
Jo gave him a smile and nodded.
“Give us some time to get cleaned up. About half an hour?”
“Okay.” I said.
I watched them as they disappeared out the door. Then a slap on my back broke my gaze and gave him a “what you do that for” look.
He laughed.
“Well that wasn’t awkward at all.” He said.
“You’re a dick” I said, shaking my head. “Let’s get a drink.”
“That Mr Horan, is the best idea you have had all night!” He replied, with a huge grin on his face.

The bar was busy with lots of people and some of the staff were getting the stage set for a band to perform.
We navigated to a space at the end of the bar not far from the door as we weren’t staying long, just long enough for the girls to get back to Lily’s place.

“What can I get you two?” asked a guy behind the bar. His name tag said it was ‘Aidan’.
“A couple of pale ale beers please mate” I said, ordering for Dylan as well.
“Sure thing.” Aidan replied.
“How’s your night been?” I asked, making small talk as he poured our beers.
“Yeah, it’s been pretty steady. Will get real busy soon though as we have a band playing from about 10 tonight. There was a little drama earlier with some girls but nothing too bad. Though I felt awful for the girl that got soaked. I don’t think she deserved that. Too many fans get involved in celebrities business. “ He said shaking his head with disgust. “Here ya go. Enjoy.”
Dylan paid for the drinks as I played the scene over in my head of what must of happened to Lily moments earlier.
My stomach was churning and though, I was still a little angry at what happened between her and Harry, it was no one else's business except ours, I felt bad about her having to deal with it.
It was the part I detested about being in the public eye. Everyone thinking they knew best or had a right to interfere.
“So looking at your face, you're thinking the bartender is talking about Lily yes?” Dylan asked, then taking a sip of beer.
I nodded.
“Yeah I am. Can’t believe people still feel the need to get involved with things that have nothing to do with them. It gets to me, you know.” I said, disappointed, taking a swig of beer, feeling the coolness run through me.
“What are you going to do?” Dylan asked.
“I feel this kinda makes it worse, you know. I know what Lily did was wrong but she doesn’t deserve the public humiliation she obviously got tonight, does she? I need to go talk to her.”
He nodded in agreement, and we downed our beers.
“Right, let’s go.” He said, and we made our way out of the bar, to a car that was waiting to take us to Lily’s place.