S i x t e e n

Alora trudged her way through the empty streets, her socks getting wet as she accidentally steps in another puddle, the icy water seeped through her sneakers

Alora trudged her way through the empty streets, her socks getting wet as she accidentally steps in another puddle, the icy water seeped through her sneakers. In one hand she held a packet of half a dozen of eggs and in the other a tote bag hung loosely carrying a carton of fresh milk. She took short trips to the supermarket on most days, there was nothing else to do when she wasn't sending mail to her friends.
Living in a muggle society wasn't her and her mother's first choice but due to some unknown circumstances they'd settled for a little secluded town near London where the days were almost as quiet as the nights. Because of this her mother restricted most of Alora's leisure options and her only release from this captive lifestyle was these frequent trips to the nearby markets.

When she arrived home she tore off her soaked socks and shook the rainwater off her damp coat.
"I'm back." She said breathlessly and placed the groceries on the kitchen counter.

Her mother emerged from the hallway wrapped in a thick shawl. She had fair skin, dark eyes, curly brown hair and sharp features that didn't resemble her daughters at all. Obviously because they weren't blood related in any way.

"You're home dear?" She smiled groggily.
"Were you seen?" She asked, her tone completely changing.

"I kept my scarf up to cover my face the whole time." She replied diligently. It was something her mother was always paranoid about, Alora didn't know why nor did she ever ask.

"Good." She said hastily. "Now clean up and I'll fix you up something warm before you catch a cold." She instructed, a warm smile returned to her pale lips.

Alora secretly wished she was back at hogwarts sooner. She felt so secluded from the outside world, isolated like a speck of dust. She was just lonely and floating about aimlessly.
She missed her friends and being surrounded by people she loved but at home, in their small little house, it was just alora and her mother.

She was startled by the sudden tapping on her window. She almost jumped in surprise when she saw the cooky-looking barn own perched up upon the wooden ledge, a brown envelope in its possession. She quietly opened the window latch and took the letter from its grasp. She fed the bird a half eaten cracker she found as she peeled open the envelope to reveal its contents.

To her surprise it was a letter from Ron in his characteristically messy handwriting scribbled across the paper. He was inviting her to the quidditch World Cup and rambled on about how his father got amazing seats. She smiled widely. Finally something exciting was happening for the first time during her full holidays. she was so thrilled that she immediately ripped a piece of parchment from her desk and began to write an excited reply, despite her mother giving her permission or not.

 she was so thrilled that she immediately ripped a piece of parchment from her desk and began to write an excited reply, despite her mother giving her permission or not