Twenty-six

That night, Alora tossed and turned in her bed, not able to get a wink of sleep

That night, Alora tossed and turned in her bed, not able to get a wink of sleep. She felt suffocated by the lump in her throat and the ache in her chest. She didn't tell anyone about what she overheard in the dungeons, she had to hide her feelings from her friends all night. The thought of it alone made her want to scream into her pillow.
    Finally coming to a conclusion that she wasn't going to be sleeping anytime soon, she slipped on a pair of warm socks and slippers, threw on an oversized jumper and quietly went downstairs. She tried not to wake any of her roommates while she closed the creaky door behind her.

She descended to the common room and saw the almost burnt out fire. She took out her wand; a 10 1/2 inch hazel wood with Veela hair core and whispered a small enchantment.
"Incendio."

The fire began to rage, swallowing up the half burn logs. Alora threw a few more pieces of wood and the fire simmered down to a regular crackling fire. She watched the orange and red flames dance around gently, licking the sides of the brick fireplace. The warm feeling on her skin brought her some extent of comfort.

"I thought I heard someone down here." A hushed voice spoke from behind.

"Sorry, I thought I was being quiet." She irked.

Harry sat down besides her infront of the fireplace, dressed in a thick robe and plaid pyjama pants.
"Couldn't sleep?" Harry asked while staring into the fire.

"Nope." She smiled weakly. "Why are you still up though?"

"I couldn't sleep either... I keep thinking I need to get something off my chest..." his voice softens. He gazed at her tired eyes, the orange glow illuminated her face. He thought she was beautiful.

"What is it?" She muttered slowly.

He decided he didn't want to hesitate anymore. He spent days planning the words but in the moment all of them escaped him. He thought it was either now or never...
Her eyes lit up with anticipation and he looked down at his feet nervously. Harry had never been this shy around her and it was making him go crazy.

"W-Will you go to the ball with me?" He said breathlessly. "Uh-I mean, if you've already got a date or someone you have in mind instead that's fine too I just thought I'd ask since you're one of my best friends.." Harry began to ramble rapidly. Alora realised where she adopted that trait from.

"..and of course you were my first option I just waited so long because I was unsure but then Ron kept on asking me if I asked yet and it was a bit pressuring and—."

"Yes." She interrupted his mindless rambling.

"What?" Harry said, baffled at her response since he was so unsure if she wanted to go with him at all.

"I said yes, I'll go with you." She laughed at his silliness.

"Th-that's great, I'm glad." He smiled, scratching his nape in relief. He felt the immense weight on his shoulders, the one he'd been carrying for days, lift and he could feel calm again.
The two shared a comfortable silence, both enjoying the smell of a warm fireplace and the simmering silence.
"I should be heading back to bed soon then..." Harry irked, feeling the tiredness return to him.