Thirty-three

It was surely past midnight when Alora snuck down into the common room alone in her pyjamas and a pair of soft slippers

Another sleepless night waiting to happen.

She sunk into the armchair by the window and hugged her knees solemnly... it had been almost two months since the second task when an unexplainable ability occurred to her... she needed answer. She sent letters home to her mother for some sort of resolution but hadn't received anything back at all. Every time her tawny owl returned empty clawed she felt even more and more confused..

Since then, she hadn't told anyone, kept it to herself. The anger and confusion was slowly building inside her, she felt utterly lost. Most nights, she scaled the library to research books based on magical events and abilities but nothing came of help. To no use, she even researched almost everything from wandless magic to the history of spells and incantations and even combed through the restricted section.

Staring down at her hands in frustration, she inhaled a deep breath shut her eyes. she concentrated all her thought in an attempt to produce the same magic that happened that day...

but to no avail.

Her palms didn't glow, instead, they stayed completely normal.
She sighed in defeat, kicking her feet out in annoyance.

Surely there was an answer. She was determined to find it.

She blinked as a thought sparked in her head.
Sinking herself into the armchair once more, she let her body relax and felt her muscles loosen. Imagining herself at the bottom of the black lake, she simultaneously held her breath in. She remembered the feeling of suffocation, not being able to breath as the grindylows dragged her deeper and clawed at her body.
Then in a moment of utter hopelessness, a spark of energy emitted from within. She wanted to fight back. The feeling surged through her uncontrollably and escaped from her fingertips...

When Alora had opened her eyes her hands were glowing blindingly. The waves of light danced around her fingertips as she widened her eyes in bewilderment.
She breathed in amusement as the energy flowed through her veins and filled her with wonder. Suddenly the light from her hands began to glow brighter and she couldn't control what was happening.
Her breath hitched as the magic escaped from her fingertips like an explosion of energy and sparked around the room, setting the draped curtains on fire. The regal maroon curtains burned with a wild purple flame more furious than any fire she'd seen before.

"Oh god!" She panicked to herself as she grasped her hands as tightly as she could to contain the magic.

The violet flame grew bigger and she shrieked, falling back onto the carpet. It spread rapidly and she cried for help, her hands glowing viciously brighter as her heart rate increased. She panicked and began hyperventilating, breathing in the heavy black smoke that began to fill the room.