14 ; you've got a friend in me

SECURE — CHAPTER 14

[ "You can't pull that on me, Kate." He stared at her right in the eyes, hazel on hazel. She was suddenly struck with how much he reflected her, like looking into a mirror. ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

"The strength of one's Patronus spell relies heavily on happy memories," Tolbert stated, facing to look at the two.

He went to light a few candles around the room, keeping the aura relatively dim. "I suggest that any unhappy or somber thoughts you have, that you let go of them for the time being, as it will be increasingly hard to even formulate this spell if there is an unhappiness weighing you down," he called over his shoulder.

James cast a worried look at the girl next to him, a furrow in his brow. The weeks following that day in potions hadn't been any kinder to Katherine, it almost seemed to have gotten worse.

Despite his efforts to get Remus to see reason, the young werewolf still refused, now with a doubled excuse of figuring out his own feelings, though he'd only let James know that. Though the request was reasonable enough, the tired look that often frequented Katie's face for far too many times had almost been enough for James to drag Remus by the collar and force him to talk to her.

Sirius had taken over the role of the ear Katie could talk to, and James was just glad to see that his best friend could cause Katie to perk up in happiness every once in a while. Those talks seemed to be Katie's source of happiness these days, James noticing that even smiles around Lily hadn't completely reached her eyes the way he was used to seeing.

James gently reached out a hand to pat Katie's back. She smiled at him gratefully in response.

Professor Tolbert turned back to them. "I would like you two to close your eyes. Relax your mind and body." They did as told, being met with darkness as their eyelids closed shut. "Now think of a memory that provokes extreme joy. The less negative emotion attached to the memory the better."

Katie took a deep breath, sifting through her thoughts. Her fifth birthday, the party in which her and James climbed to her roof, her first day at Hogwarts, the day Lily had taken her out on a day in muggle London.

She could feel a hint of a smile cross her face.

Her and Sirius throwing whipped cream at one another as they attempted to bake, Peter showing her to ride a horse, summer days spent with the Marauders, her mother reading to her.

As she continued to think of the happiest she'd been, the face of a certain sandy-haired boy continued to pop up in each of her memories. Sharing a bike while on a bike ride with James, Sirius, and Peter, seeing a Muggle movie, visiting the lake not too far from her house, moments with Buttons, and even mere memories of his smiling face.