4 ; nervous? oh never

SECURE — CHAPTER 4

[ "Just tell them the password and then you can insult her all you want once she lets us in—away from her line of hearing." ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

"First year Gryffindors, follow me! Careful, these stairs are rather tricky." Remus and Katie stood in front of a small group of young students, aiding them in a trek through the large castle.

Katie pointed to a painting. "This here is the Gryffindor Common Room. This - ahem - beautiful lady here is the Fat Lady. You'll be giving her the password in order to gain entrance. Passwords change weekly, so be sure to check the bulletin board for new passwords. You'll know what I'm talking about once you enter, the bulletin is pretty hard to miss."

Remus raised a brow at her, dropping his voice to a low whisper. "Flattery?"

"She gets less grumpy when I say that. Figured we'd need it. I've heard some portraits grumbling about the fact that she wouldn't stop crying over how terrible her singing is," Katie whispered back.

Remus widened his eyes slightly, pulling a face. "Well..."

"Hush you." She slapped his arm slightly. "Just tell them the password and then you can insult her all you want once she lets us in—away from her line of hearing." Katie shot him a look and he raised his hands up in defeat.

"Alright then, the password for this week is 'chocolate frog'," Remus said clearly to the group of anxious first years in front of him.

"Let me show you all. 'Chocolate frog'," Katie said to the Fat Lady. It seemed easy enough to the first years, and the two prefects were glad that the Fat Lady obliged without causing a fuss.

The pair maneuvered their group of first years inside, stopping every few moments to show them an important part of the common room. They didn't have any trouble at all. Very few of the newly turned teens had much to say, except for the one or two here or there that felt a little braver than the others and striked up a little conversation.

Soon enough, their duties for the time being were over and they found themselves reclining on the red loveseat in a position they were often found in—Katie leaning against one of the armrests and her feet on Remus' lap.

"They're a lot quieter this year." He ran a hand through his hair - an action that Katie noticed he had been doing more often as of late.

Katie shrugged, leaning back to let her hair sprawl wildly over the armrest. "Probably just a shy bunch. Or they were just a tad nervous."