24 ; a history untold

SECURE — CHAPTER 24

[ But what really struck her were the words written on the parchment. On it were the words "I didn't forget. 16. I didn't forget. 16. I didn't forget. 16." over and over in sloppy angry ink. ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

"This is insane," Lily mumbled between her breath as she made her way down the corridors with Katie and Remus to Tolbert's classroom.

The people they came across in the halls were scarce, but Katie watched on with amusement at the way Lily's eyes seemed to widen at the sight of every person they saw. James had gone early in order to not incur Professor Tolbert's wrath by being late. Sirius and Peter had gone to set up the distraction.

Lily, Katie, and Remus were landed with the duty of breaking into Tolbert's office and hopefully finding something concrete on just who he was, or at least trying to find something that would give them a clue on what he was trying to hide.

Katie knew that Remus was at ease with this role, and to an extent, so was she. Though she didn't usually participate with their pranks, the few that she did were always hidden lessons that only made her better at sneaking around.

The opposite could be said for Lily however. She'd never truly broken the rules before, and she sure as hell had never broken the rules with James Potter and Sirius Black before. Katie watched as Lily bit on her lip for what seemed like the fourth time in the past minute.

"Only three months into the year and Sirius Black and James Potter got Lily Evans to participate in sneaking into a teacher's office. Who would've thought?" Katie mused as they strolled past a portrait of Edgar Stroulger, whose one blue eye was peering curiously at them from behind the magnifying glass that was perched behind his ear.

Lily huffed. "Don't say it like that."

"Like what?"

"It makes it sounds as if I enjoy their presence."

Katie raised an eyebrow, blinking a few times. "Hate to break it to you Lils, but you don't love me enough to do this solely because of me."

Lily was silent for a good while. "Okay, well. You don't have to say it out loud."

"Lily, trust me. Once you succumb to Sirius and James there's no going back," Remus added, a slight chuckle to his breath.

Lily shot a glance at Remus but didn't say a word. Katie could tell that the gears in her head were working and omitted to remember to ask her about that later.

Soon enough they reached the corner that came right before the hallway where Tolbert's classroom was located.

"How did they get their hands on a doxy?" Katie asked Remus. She came around behind him and peered at the corridor by craning her neck so that it stuck out next to his side.