19 ; scrapbooks and mother's unknown lover

SECURE — CHAPTER 19

[ "Alright, Sirius, Pete, let's go stuff this git with all the healthy garbage we can find." ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

"I'll get you back for that one day," Lily remarked, playfully bumped her shoulder against Katie's. They made their way down the stairs, laughing at something Lily had said before. The day already felt much lighter than the past few weeks, and Katie felt as if the tension in her shoulders had suddenly been lifted.

Katie snorted, raising a brow at the redhead. "Right," she teased, "have fun waking up in time."

"Who said I'd do the same thing? That's unoriginal." Lily smiled wickedly. She glanced over at Katie, mischief in her eyes. "I am a rather skilled potion maker."

Katie's eyes widened. "Thanks. Now I know not to take any drink you offer me."

The common room was mildly busy, several students going in and out of the portrait door. Mornings before quidditch matches were always a little hectic, Hogwarts students never passing up an opportunity to get out and cheer for their House and their friends.

Across the room, Katie could make out the familiar faces of the Prewett twins, both already clad in their scarlet and gold quidditch gear. "Hey Katie! Good luck out there today!" Gideon spotted her across the room as he was about to head out, sending her a grin.

"Yeah! Let's kick some ass today!" Fabian grinned at her as well.

She returned their smiles, grinning widely back. "Damn right we will."

Lily and Katie made their way over to the twins. Gideon stopped before heading out, waiting for her by the door. "You coming?" His excited grin was replaced with a gentle smile that made Katie remember Alice's words from earlier this morning. Her own smile faltered ever so slightly.

A sudden yell from across the room took their attention. "Kate, Evans, wait up!" James, Sirius, Remus, and Peter were all making their way down the stairs, bumping playfully into another - James had even pulled Sirius' tie. Their presence was immediately felt in the common room, their loud voices raising the already good mood. Several other students yelled a 'good morning' to the group.

As they made their way down, Katie's eyes caught on the sweater Remus was wearing - just barely oversized on his lean body. It was the one she had given him for his birthday earlier that year, a sweater she'd made herself. It took multiple tries and she'd nearly given up after several failed attempts that looked more like an oven mitt than it did a sweater, but the smile that lit up his face when she'd given it to him made it all worth it for her.