3 ; of lilies and love

SECURE — CHAPTER 3

[ Lily buried her head into Katie's neck as she wrapped her hands around her waist. "I love you, Kate," she mumbled quietly. ]

 ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

Katherine weaved through the halls of the train, keeping her eyes open for any sign of the familiar red shade of her best friend's hair. Finally, she spotted her in a compartment nearing the back of the train. She peeked through the door window, rapping her fingers against the glass.

Lily peeked up over her book, a radiant smile on her face. She hurried to slide open the door, and quickly threw her arms around Katherine's frame. Katie wrapped an arm around her, briefly burying her head in Lily's neck. "It's so nice to see you, Lils."

They parted, Lily stepping aside to let Katie into the compartment. "God, I've missed you Kate. This has got to be the longest summer of my life." She sat back down, watching as Katie situated herself. Lily shot her a playfully stern look. "I don't ever want you to leave me again."

Katie chuckled to herself. "Well, I'm glad to see that I've been missed." It hadn't dawned on her how oddly familiar that statement was.

Katie sat across from Lily, hugging her knees to herself. It suddenly hit her how different this train ride was from all of the previous five years. This was the emptiest their compartment had been in years.

It had at first been Severus and them—long hours of uncomfortable tension and badly hidden glares. As the years passed, Alice and Marlene would sometimes join them. Though that didn't seem to be the case this year.

This was their first train ride without Severus, and though Katie would be lying if she said she missed the times where he was there, she was more worried for how Lily felt.

The fall-out had been steadily building since third year before it all came crashing down shortly after the winter holidays. Since then, the friendship seemed to be beyond repair.