21 ; be by your side, always

SECURE — CHAPTER 21

[ James placed his hands on Remus' shoulders, his eyes glistening ever so slightly. "And we want the werewolf part to know that we love him every bit as much as his witty, sometimes stupid, but always lovable, human counterpart." ]

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺ ⁺

"Let's get started shall we?"

Madame Pomfrey slipped her wand out, pointing it at her bicep. "Brackium Evanesco," she mumbled quietly, a surge of blue light coming from the wand. The supposed effect didn't feel any different, but as Katie slowly opened her eyes, she felt a weightlessness at her right arm.

Vaguely she could hear a tiny gasp, but it didn't quite register, her mind too preoccupied at the new sight that she was met with as she stared at her arm. In place of what used to be a decently muscular bicep was a thin flab of skin, littered with bruises and unattractive jagged skin in the form of three long lines of broken tissue.

Once more she remembered a dark shack and glowing eyes that caused her breath to catch. She registered fear in her stomach and immediately felt a pang of guilt. Her lips pursed, her vision refusing to meet anyone's eyes in fear that somehow they'd detect her fleeting feeling of fear that the night in the Shrieking Shack had left her with.

"Katherine." Madame Pomfrey's gentle voice pulled her from her thoughts and Katie gave her best attempt at a smile. Vaguely she could feel eyes on her, but she still couldn't trust herself to look at anyone but Madame Pomfrey. She pushed a small vial into Katie's hands. "This should keep you from feeling any lightheadedness from the loss of your bones."

Katherine downed the potion without thought, having been in the hospital wing more times than she could count over her years at Hogwarts. The liquid left a sting in her throat, but her chest felt lighter as it went down.

"Let me go whip up the Skele-Gro. It might take me a while to calculate how much you'll need so just stay and rest; do not attempt to move your arm," the nurse instructed firmly, sending her a pointed look, to which she just nodded. She left the room, bustling over to a small door near her office, disappearing into it.

The silence that encompassed the room was more uncomfortable than any of them were willing to admit. Katie slowly let her eyes look up to the others, her mouth going dry.

James, Lily, and Remus were all eyeing Katie's rather gruesome looking arm, which now looked more abnormal as it lay flat on the cot, lacking bones. She could see the way Remus' eyes were tracing each of her scars then retracing them once more, as if hypnotized. Any hint of the pure, unadulterated happiness he had worn in the morning had now gone, replaced with all sorts of negative emotions.