"the feeling's mutual"

chapter one:
the feeling's mutual

"Cass, I am going to beat your ass

"Cass, I am going to beat your ass." These are the words that left my lips as my best friend answered my call after the third ring.

"I do not want to be set up on any more dates! It's weird—and you're a total asshole for constantly asking me to hang out and then making me meet complete strangers at random ass places!" The rest of my words came out in a raised voice as I stood outside of a restaurant that I had never been to but had been dying to try for the last week because my best friend, Cassidy, had asked me out on a friend-date the week prior. However, her best friend status was in danger of plummeting and I was contemplating how I might kill her for being so sneaky.

Cassidy had a reputation for setting me up with guys she sort of knew through her boyfriend, Graham. She had been with her boyfriend for five years, and last year she got the bright idea that I needed a boyfriend so she started sending me on blind dates with total jerks.

I knew she had good intentions; I knew she just wanted me to be happy. I was twenty-four and, clearly, she thought I was losing time to find the one.

"You won't agree to them anymore, so I have to do them this way! This guy is different, Emmie—I promise. He's a really good one, and a really cute one. Also, stop swearing... it's not ladylike." My eyes rolled at her words and I breathed in deeply to try and reclaim some sanity.

"I don't think you understand how infuriated I am right now," I said through gritted teeth. "I just wanted some pasta, Cass! I wanted some fucking good pasta and I wanted to eat with my best friend because she's the kind of person who's not going to care once I'm bloated by the end of the night and am visibly barely fitting into my dress. I am hungry, Cassidy, and every time you do shit like this I have to go eat with a random guy and you know I feel obligated to eat a salad. Salads are great, but I want carbs sometimes. I crave carbs all of the time, okay?"

"So you did wear a dress?" Cass asked, seeming happy with that bit of information.

"Oh, my god, you're so fucking dead to me," I muttered in a harsh whisper as my eyes closed shut. "I'm never hanging out with you again, Cassidy Sadler. You are a sadist man-lover who thinks being in a heterosexual relationship is going to solve all of my problems."

"You're being a tinge dramatic, Em. Just go find the guy and have a good time!" Cass told me. She was clearly preoccupied with something else and didn't want to listen to what I had to say.

"I am not staying here! I'm going home," I told her. She'd had to be crazy to think I was willingly going to stay and eat dinner with some guy who wasn't worth my time.

"Emmie, no! You can't leave; that's not right. Don't stand him up, or else I will never speak to you again."

"Have you been listening to anything I've said in the last five minutes? I don't want to talk to you ever again!" Obviously, I would want to talk to her again—she was my person—but for the time being, she was one of my least favorite people. "I'm hanging up now. I want you to tell Graham that if he sends me an apology text taking responsibility for your actions, I will block his number."