thirty four

"Fuck! Shit shit shit! Oh my fucking god, are you serious man?" I heard Kells shout into his phone as I showered in the bathroom. I had no idea what was going on, but it evidently wasn't good. Quickly, I wrapped up the shower and slipped on a robe so I could go out and see way had happened.
"You okay?"
"No. Fuck; Chlo I need to leave, tomorrow,"
My heart broke "What?"
"Man slim went into the studio to work on a couple songs and the whole fucking album is gone. All of it; we didn't save the songs properly or something,"
"So why can't you just re-record when you get back?" I asked, praying for a miracle or something to make him stay
"Because we have till the end of this week to get everything recorded and finished,"
"Get slim to fly out and do it here,"
"Look I just need to get back, I'm sorry. Stay and enjoy the rest of the vacation,"
For some unknown reason, this really pissed me off "You want me to stay here and enjoy a vacation in an adults only romantic hotel by myself? No. I'm leaving, and you might be leaving tomorrow but I'm leaving tonight. You can organise an early check out and book your own flight. I wanted this to be a special vacation for the two of us, especially since we probably weren't going to have another one for a while, but of course it's being cut short because you have to work; this whole trip has been about work for you! The only time I was priority over your job was today at lunch. One hour, out of two days. So have a safe flight and enjoy your night because I won't be here for much longer," I grabbed some clothes out if my suitcase and stormed into the bathroom to change, not giving Kells an opportunity to say anything else to me. As I was changing, I heard the hotel room door open and then slam closed. I deliberated for a moment as to whether or not I should go after him, but in the end I left it.

I arrived at the airport an hour later, after packing my things and getting in one of the taxis waiting outside the hotel. I approach the woman sitting behind a desk labelled tickets
"When is your next available flight to Ohio?"
She typed away at her keyboard "Well we have one tonight but it's a connecting flight, it stops in New York for 5 hours," She answered with a cute Southern accent, she sounded as if she was from somewhere like Texas or Alabama. I purchased my ticket and proceeded through security to duty free. I felt bad for exploding on Kells like that, it wasn't his fault that the songs didn't save and I know he didn't intend to work for the entire trip. After reflecting for a few minutes, I decided I should call him and apologise. The line rung for ages, each tone making me feel sicker and sicker; the more I thought about it the more I wanted to apologise and hear his voice again. After what felt like hours and hours of ringing, I finally heard his voice, but not the one I wanted to hear.
"What up its Kells. Uhhh- shut up man I'm recording my voicemail. Um, leave a message; peace,"
I sighed "Hey, it's me. Just call me back when you get this, I love you. Bye,"

A couple of hours later, my flight began to board. I figured that Kells wasn't going to call me back tonight, so I would call him tomorrow morning and turned my phone on flight mode. In my hand, I felt the tiniest vibration and my heart jumps. Questions that suggest the worst start floating around my brain, clouding my thoughts with negativity. What if it was Kells calling me? What if it was the police calling me to say something happened to him? What if something's happened at home? So many reasons why I should've waited that extra minute; but it was too late now. It would've already gone to voicemail. I forced myself to believe that everything was fine, just so I could get some sleep on this flight, it was already 10pm, meaning the flight would land at around 2am, but of course I would have to stay awake for my connecting flight at 5:30am, meaning I wouldn't get home until at least 7:30am. At least I didn't have any plans and could sleep the whole day if I needed to, but at this point I was so over it that all I wanted to do was crawl into my own bed with my husband next to me and sleep.