chapter 14: johnnys pov

"I'm sorry Mackenzie, I didn't think," I sighed." I just can't understand why someone would do that. Do that to you." I shook my head, confusion clouding my eyes.
"Don't stress about it, it's in the past, life obviously didn't feel like letting someone love me," she replied simply shrugging her shoulders.
I couldn't stand the fact that she thought all of this was ok, that she deserved it.
"You don't think that you deserved it, do you?" I asked.
I watch as her eyes stopped shining and a frown appeared on her face.
"Of course I did. I was a lousy girlfriend who wasn't thin enough, smart enough, prettier enough. I guess I wasn't good enough for him. He deserved better and I got what I deserved," she replied, sternly.
"No Mackenzie. Please listen to me; you don't deserve to be treated badly, No one does. He bullied you. You could of easily died because of him. You deserve someone who will make you happy. I don't want you to say you deserved it again, okay?" I shot back.
I stood from where I was sitting and approached her. She was just standing there, motionless, with eyes as wide as a deer in headlights. I pulled her closer to me and wrapped my arms around her.
Eventually she hugged back, our embrace becoming tighter.
Not either of us pulled away. When our legs ached from standing, we sat. I pulled her into my lap and toyed with the ends of her. She just watched my fingers, never looking me in the eye. She still had her arms around me, as I did to her.
"Thankyou," she whispered." It means a lot, even though I don't believe you."
I looked her straight in the eye.
"One day, I hope you Will," I whispered back.

Then we heard the clack of heels on the stairs...