01 ; another time in verona

Here's the thing: Wallace hasn't tried to make friends by himself since kindergarten.

There's an unspoken rule that when you make one friend, all of their friends become yours. A payment of sorts you receive since you made the beginning effort to reach out. This was the case with Wallace and his best friend Dawson, whom of which had taken it upon himself to introduce Wallace to his pair of friends -- Kinney and Olly -- about three years ago.

Kinney and Olly were alright, in a way it seemed that only Wallace and Dawson could understand, but their small group worked well together. Being the four students who stood in the corner of the parking lot before school started, who all lived on the "wrong side of Forks", and smoked cigarette's so they could put merit into those hallway rumors about all of them just growing up to be their dead-beat parents someday.

Rumors weren't something that Wallace ever paid much attention to -- because he knew who he was and what anyone else thought he was didn't really reach his radar. But this lack of caring seeming to only bite him in the ass when it came to befriending Bella Swan.

Bella Swan, despite her morose attitude, still seemed to be one of the most popular girls in the school. She sat at the top of the archaic class system that had long since been created in a cheesy high school movie in the eighties that everyone knew the words to. Which made it hard for Wallace, who has been fulfilling the peasant roll of the class system ever since his last name kept showing up in the newspapers.

"So, you have to like what? Babysit her?" Kinney asked, lips blowing out a puff of smoke into the air. She was regarding Wallace with a side eye, black eyes watching him for any reason it may seem like he was fucking with her.

"That's what the chief said," Wallace stated, leaning against Dawson's van, hands shoved into his black jean pockets. He was watching Bella Swan across the parking lot, where the tiny brunette was trying to listen to a very animated Jessica Stanley talk about well...whatever Jessica Stanley talked about. Boys? What mascara was the best? Whether she should wear a red or pink lipstick tomorrow?

"At least it wasn't jail time," Olly said, giving Wallace a warning look. Then he shivered dramatically, lighting another cigarette. "Been there, done that."

Wallace shared a glance with Kinney over Olly's head and smirked when the female just rolled her eyes. It was a running gag in their group that Olly was lying about whether or not he'd been to juvie whenever he'd been in middle school. Olly always spoke about his time in juvie like he'd went to Vietnam instead, and if Wallace wasn't so amused by the dramatics, he would've pressed the male for more details until his obviously fake story would bust at the seams.

"Olly has a point," Dawson spoke, crushing a cigarette underneath his boot. His dark curls ruffled slightly underneath his grey beanie as the wind blew in their direction. "I mean, the chief really let you get away with this one, Wall. I mean, how hard can it be? Bella Swan has a little somethin' somethin' going on underneath all those sweaters."

"Once you remove the meek exterior and squint your eyes maybe," Olly laughed, stomping his feet on the ground as he did so, like it was the funniest thing he'd ever said.

"She has nice hair," Kinney commented, watching Bella from across the parking lot now. "I need to show her how to use some bronzer though, the girl blends in with the parking lot paint lines."

This caused Wallace to snort, his hand lifting to snuff it into his hand. Dawson just chuckled, mouth open as his tongue licked one of his front teeth. All of them then switching the subject to Kinney's upcoming English assignment, which she hasn't done, before they all stood up to head towards their first block.