25 ; anything we want

Here's the thing: Wallace didn't know what to pack for a desert island.

"It's not a desert island," This is Edward's voice, calling out towards Wallace's thoughts as the bronze haired male turns the Volvo into a wider strip of land that's a gateway onto a plane runaway. More specifically, a private jet runway.

"I'm allowed to be wrong in my own thoughts," Wallace replies back, casting Edward a glance from his place in the passenger seat. In the back, Bella is thumbing through a few apps on her phone and is no doubt saying her last few goodbyes to Charlie about the last-minute trip.

Beside her, Shelby is raising an unimpressed eyebrow at Wallace. Then she turns towards Bella, asking with a side-smirk on her face. "Is this how they always are?"

Glancing up from her phone, Bella gives Shelby a tiny smile. "Sadly this is their flirting,"

Shelby, whom of which eyes Wallace once more after Bella's words simply hums in reply. Wallace looks away from his sister's piercing eyes in the rearview mirror, wondering if he ignores her long enough he won't have to answer any of her questions. If past results had any say in that outcome, Wallace's odds weren't in his favor.

When Wallace had accepted the invitation to go to Isle Esme for a week, he had felt an overwhelming veil of guilt fall over him. The very thought of going somewhere and enjoying himself this quick after Daniel's death had felt disrespectful. And maybe that's why Wallace brought Shelby along with him because he felt as though maybe bringing her would make him seem less selfish than if he went alone.

"Thank you for inviting me," Shelby's voice speaks out once Edward parks the Volvo on the strip of the road beside the private plane that Wallace can see in the distance. It's a plain white thing, with sleek wings and a pull-out staircase leading into the luxurious interior.

"Of course," Bella speaks before Wallace can, happiness glittering in her eyes. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that Bella adores Wallace's sister. And judging by the amusement in Shelby's answering grin, they're friendship is on even ground. "I think you're going to enjoy your villa."

Wallace turns away from them, feeling his stomach roll and is startled by a hand gently placing itself on his thigh. Turning towards Edward, Wallace sees that the male is watching him with pained golden eyes, scanning Wallace's face like Wallace's pain harms him too.

I'm fine. Wallace remarks inside of his head, trying to keep his voice soft.

Edward doesn't seem convinced but lets Wallace shrug out from underneath his touch as he opens the Volvo's passenger door and steps onto the tar of the road. The others follow his lead, Shelby gathering her duffel bag onto her shoulder and she smiles warmly at Wallace as she turns towards him.

For a moment, Wallace sees their mother in her face. In the softness of her brow, the curve of her jaw, and in the flow of her hair. Wallace wonders for a moment if Daniel and their mother are together right now. Wallace isn't religious, but he prays that's the case.

Shelby seems to sense his wondering thoughts because she steps forwards and squeezes his bicep with a small smile. "Let's go to a tropical island, yeah?"

Wallace nods at her, giving a feeble smile, but lets her guide him towards the plane. Edward is talking to the pilot, the older gentleman seeming both respectful and awestruck by Edward. Despite the fact that Edward looks no older than a seventeen-year-old boy.

The inside of the private jet is luxurious. Not that Wallace had expected anything less. With tortoiseshell walls and countertops and tan leather seats. Everything is in a perfect color scheme. Edward used to the luxury, is quick to place his belongings into the seats on the left side of the plane, before motioning for them all to do that as well. Bella, struck by the beauty of the plane like Wallace and Shelby takes a moment before she places her meager two bags onto the seat beside where Edward had placed his.