Chapter 3

Freed woke up early in the morning and he took the medicine that was already waiting for him in his night stand. Then he got up and took a shower since he was finally able to move more.

He had now stayed at Rufus' house for four days. He had spoken with his team through Rufus' communicator lacrima and reassured them that he was okay. He was a little bit happy when Ever and Bicks offered that they would arrive at the town with the next train but Freed said it was not necessary. He would be back at the Guild as soon as he could travel again.

Freed brushed his hair and tied it up in a high pony tail, then he took the clothes Rufus had lend him. Apparently his own clothes had been so badly torn and covered with blood they could not be saved. Only his coat was in a good enough shape that it could be repaired with good tailoring magic.

Freed dressed up, feeling himself a little bit foolish wearing jogging pants and a red t-shirt. But he had to admit they were comfortable. Guess that was the reason why Rufus gave him precisely these clothes.

After he was ready, Freed finally stepped outside his room. He had to use a cane since his leg wasn't still recovered enough for him to walk normally. His arm was resting in a sling and he jolted time to time when he felt sharp pain on his side. If only these wounds could be healed with magic he would be already heading back to Magnolia. But two days ago when Sabertooth's healer came to visit she said they couldn't do anything else than just wait and make sure his wounds wouldn't become inflamed. And of course he had to take his medicine so the poison would fade from his body eventually.

The swordsman looked around in the hallway. This house really was big. Not a mansion but still big. There were lots of beautiful paintings and statues. Freed smiled as he peeked in the living room. Rufus' taste could be seen everywhere, there was not a single thing that was out of place.

How many floors did this house have? At least three since he found the big and showy stairway and they lead up and down. His room was on the second floor. He wondered if Rufus' bedroom was on the third floor.

Freed blushed. Why was he thinking where Rufus' bedroom was? It was not something he needed to know, it was Rufus' private area! He had no right to go pry there.

But it wouldn't be bad if he just peeked what kind of a floor third floor was, right? Rufus said that he could look around if he wanted and he still didn't know where the library was. It might be in the third floor...

Finally Freed put his hand on the handrail and stepped on the first step. Immediately there were pain and burning in his leg and he gritted his teeth. Obviously his leg was not healed enough to walk freely in the stairs... But he would not give up.

With determination he took another step and inhaled sharply. After fifth step he groaned and he had to stop, panting heavily. He was already sweating and his knuckles were white because of the strong grip of the handrail. Maybe this was not a good idea after all...

"What are you doing?"

Freed snapped his gaze to the top of the stairs and he saw Rufus standing there in his red morning gown.

"I was curious about the third floor", Freed said and was still panting slightly. "But it seems like I overestimated my condition..."

Rufus sighed and stepped down beside Freed.

"You're going to torn your stitches at this rate", he scolded softly.

"I was looking for the library."

"It is here in the second floor", Rufus chuckled. "Maybe you were actually looking for me?" he teased purring softly and Freed blushed. "I would rather wake up you by my side than hearing you grunt here on the stairway", blond smirked.