Chapter 33

In the next morning, Freed stepped in the huge hall in Sabertooth's guild house and he saw Laxus, Bickslow and Evergreen talking with Sting. He huffed rubbing his face and went to take some coffee and then joined them at the table.

"You look awful", Laxus noticed when the rune mage sat down.

"That was a very nice way to say good morning", Freed said with a tiny frown, taking a sip from his coffee.

"We thought you would stay with Rufus all the time, baby", Bickslow grinned.

"I was with him but Magaidh said I was on her way so I decided to come and get some coffee", Freed said and he stretched his arms a bit. He was feeling stiff after sitting the whole night.

"Did you sleep at all?" Evergreen asked worried. "Magaidh said Rufus would be fine, you should rest."

"I know, it's not that I'm questioning her skills."

"You definitely shouldn't", Sting chuckled amused. "He did wake up once, didn't he?"

"Yes", Freed nodded. "We talked a little bit and then he fell asleep again. That's good, they all need lots of rest."

"Did he say what happened?" Laxus asked.

"That's the thing why I'm still worried. He can't remember", Freed said and Sting's mouth snapped open and his eyes went wide. "I'm just as stunned. He says he can't remember anything at all what happened. He seems to know who he is and everything else, but when I asked some questions from him he forgot some things."

"Maybe he's just tired?" Laxus suggested.

"I really hope it's just that, then he will be back to normal soon."

"Magaidh can help him", Evergreen assured the swordsman. "And if she can't, we'll take Rufus to Porlyusica if she can help."

"He should pray he will get better soon", Bickslow snickered and the tiki dolls giggled.

"Don't worry too much, Freed", Sting smiled patting Freed's shoulder. "You should rest too, Rufus would get worried if he saw you so tired."

"I'm fine, thank you", the rune mage nodded. "Coffee helps, I'm already feeling more brisk."

"Freed", Evergreen said.

"No, I'll stay awake at least until we learn what happened to them", Freed decided.

"But -" Sting started but Laxus snorted.

"You move mountains before you can make him change his mind", he said to the young guild master. "He'll be fine. Freed can stay up for days if needed."

"That's true", Bickslow grinned.

"I wouldn't say days", Freed huffed.

"How modest", Evergreen chuckled.

They talked until they all had eaten breakfast and after that they headed towards the infirmary. Rogue had joined them and they were all interested to hear what had happened to Rufus and others. They opened the door and were happily surprised when seeing all four sitting up on their beds, eating their breakfast.

"Hold it", Magaidh said pushing them back to the hallway, following them and she closed the door.

"Is something wrong?" Rogue asked confused.

"First I better warn you all", Magaidh said with a frown. "I found out what happened, it was indeed a mage hunter who attacked them."

"Damn bastards", Sting growled angrily.

"They will all be alright soon, but I can't say when the effects of magic might wear off."

"They're under some spell?" Rogue frowned.