Chapter 34

"Remember, you're guests here", Freed frowned to his team as they stepped through the gate.

"Yeah, we know", Laxus grunted looking at the house. "This one is a big ass house too."

"I'm scared to even imagine how rich Rufus actually is", Bickslow snickered. "You found yourself a perfect man, baby."

"Money doesn't make everything perfect", Freed reminded as they stepped up the stairs to the big front doors.

"But it sure does help a lot", Evergreen giggled. Freed just rolled his eyes and opened the doors.

They were greeted by two maids and an older woman who must be the housekeeper.

"It is nice to meet you all", the housekeeper smiled and the maids greeted them with small bows. "Mr. Lore already called us and said you would be coming over."

"It's nice to meet you", Freed smiled. "I'm Freed Justine. These are my friends and team members Laxus Dreyar, Bickslow and Evergreen."

"It is nice to meet you all", the housekeeper smiled. "My name is Mrs. Tabitha Camran and I work here as a housekeeper. These are my daughters Leigh and Laverne."

"It is nice to meet you", the maids smiled. "Let us take your coats", they said and took their coats.

"Lunch is still a few hours away, but maybe you would like to have some tea?" Mrs. Camran suggested.

"Thank you", Freed smiled. "That would be lovely, if it's not too much of a bother."

"Not at all, we are excited there will be more people living here", Mrs. Camran said with a bright smile while they stepped in the living room. "Mr. Lore has been alone for such a long time... When he wouldn't to the guild house, he just stays home and reads. I was worried about him for a while, I'm happy he found someone", she smiled to Freed who chuckled.

"I promise to take good care of him", the rune mage nodded and they sat down.

"That's wonderful to hear. I'm sorry that there isn't really much furniture here, we got these couches and armchairs only a few days ago and there aren't even proper curtains in windows yet", Mrs. Camran said and they looked around in the living room.

It felt so empty and their voices were echoing there. There were no paintings or sculptures, no tables beside the coffee table where Laverne and Leigh served tea for them with biscuits. Freed remembered there had been a grand piano before too, but now it was gone. Funny, he had never even heard if Rufus actually played a piano. Some people had those just for show... And, Rufus was Rufus to put it simple.

"Rufus said there should be at least beds in guest rooms ready", Freed said taking a cup and stirring some sugar in it.

"Yes", Mrs. Camran nodded. "Three bedrooms in the second floor are ready and there are all basic things anyone might need in a guest bedroom", she smiled to Laxus, Bickslow and Evergreen.

"Three?" Freed asked confused.

"Aren't you gonna stay in Rufus' bedroom?" Evergreen smirked nudging his side with her elbow.

"Oh", Freed said surprised. "Would that be appropriate? He's not home."

"Of course it's okay, moron! I bet Rufus would feel offended if you slept in any other bedroom."

"He might get suspicious", Bickslow snickered.

"Well, preparing another guest room would bee too much of a hassle", Freed shrugged. He didn't mind staying in Rufus' bedroom, though it would probably feel really awkward since the memory mage wasn't here