Chapter 13

Rufus was more than amazed when they wandered around the marketplace, from shop to shop, from booth to booth. Suddenly he was carrying four big paper bags and Freed had three others, and he was still buying what he needed. Did they really need all this food?

"Did they eat the whole house empty while you were away?" the masked mage asked, when Freed was finally satisfied after buying a huge chunk of meat from the butcher.

"You sound like you think that's impossible", Freed laughed. "There was hardly anything left, I barely managed to make those omelets. I don't always need to buy this much in one go."

"With this all, you should be able to feed them at least a week or two."

"More like a day or two. Laxus and Bicks eat like hungry wolves in the middle of winter and there is a good change Cana and Elfman will join us. Oh no..." Freed sighed.

"What is it?" Rufus asked quickly. "You didn't hurt yourself?" he asked concerned. Freed was still recovering even though he could move around almost normally. "I knew it, give me two more bags."

"Relax, I didn't hurt myself", Freed assured. "I just realized I forgot to ask Magaidh if she was allergic to something. Or if there is something she really wants like specific tea or coffee or -"

"Rum. She wants rum", Rufus chuckled.

"Oh, that we can still do. There is a liquor store on our way home", the swordsman smiled. "Allergies?"

"None. But she doesn't like meat."

"I'll make vegetarian food for her in that case. I'm glad I didn't use bacon in those omelets."

"She wouldn't have complained. She understands that you didn't know and it's really rude to complain when someone makes you food. She might be a little domineering and unrefined, but she still has some manners."

They stopped for a moment to purchase one bottle of rum and then they headed home. Rufus helped to put everything in its place and then they started to do some food.

"This way they can eat when they get hungry", Freed explained when Rufus was confused why they were doing dinner already. "It's easy to heat up the food when they want to eat."

"I see, that way you don't need to cook all the time during the day and can do something else instead", Rufus said.

"Exactly. You are probably accustomed to certain rhythm in your meals but that's because you don't need to cook it yourself since you have servants in your house."

"I can adjust", Rufus smiled peeling the carrots. "If this works for you the best, that is the way we are going to do it."

Freed smiled and he started to roast the meat.

"If Magaidh says it's okay, I think I might do some training today", he said.

"You shouldn't yet push yourself too hard", Rufus said and he dropped the potatoes in the big kettle and filled it with water, adding some salt.

"I need to start training or I will never heal."

"What did you have in mind?"

"I should start with fencing."

"Maybe I can help you with that", Rufus smiled and Freed was surprised.

"You can?" he asked.

"Yes. Fencing is something most of the gentlemen know at least at some level in the society my family is part of. So of course I have been taught to fence as well. I can be your opponent."