Chapter 7

Freed was not sure how long he sat on a bench in the garden. This was his first time here, and even if the trees and flowers were really beautiful despite it being late summer, he couldn't enjoy the sight. He was too deep in his thoughts.

What could he do? What would happen if he really was going to lose his magic? He could still use his sword but... Without his magic he was just an ordinary swordsman. He couldn't use his runes anymore... And if you weren't a mage, you couldn't belong in the mage guild. That was what scared him the most. Master Makarov and others would probably come up with something or say that it was okay for him to stay but he couldn't do that. It would be against the rules and no matter what he wouldn't break the rules.

Freed sighed. There would be no more missions with Laxus, Bickslow and Evergreen. No more spending nights in a tent together, no more fighting with whatever they were against at the time. No more fighting who could take the shower first when they returned from long mission and so on. Freed could of course live with his team still but he couldn't join them on the missions.

He didn't like it. Fairy Tail and everything in it was his whole life. It didn't matter if he wasn't that good friends yet with others, they were still his family. Only family he had ever had. If he couldn't be part of it...

Freed felt tears in his eyes no matter how much he tried to fight against them. Crying wouldn't help him! But he couldn't stop it. Even a mere thought of Fairy Tail closing its doors before him was just too painful and tears dripped down his cheek.

"Shit!" he shouted leaning on his knees and holding his head. How was he ever going to be able to explain everything to Laxus and the others? It felt like he had let everyone down! Why was he so careless with that hunter?!

The swordsman just sat there, sobbing because he couldn't do nothing more. Right now it felt exactly like everything was falling apart in his life. Being lonely sometimes wasn't nearly as painful as being forced to leave everything. If only he could heal, be back to Fairy Tail and everything would be just like only a week ago...

He had no idea what time it was when he suddenly felt a hand that touched softly his shoulder.

"Everything will be alright", Rufus said sitting next to Freed. "We will figure something out."

"Maybe", Freed said and his voice was stuffy because of crying.

"We will, I promise", Rufus assured. "I won't leave you alone with this", he said and put his arm around greenette's shoulders and gently pulled him closer. Freed was too overwhelmed because all of this that he didn't even care if this seemed odd to someone. It felt good for him so screw the others if there were someone watching, he just leaned his head against the crook of Rufus' neck. It felt even better when Rufus put his head on top of his.

They just sat there in the silence, only hearing how sometimes a slight breeze made leafs in the bushes and trees to rustle.

"I have to leave Fairy Tail..." Freed finally muttered. "If I actually can't use my magic never again."

"I'm sure they won't leave you just like that", Rufus reassured. "They will do whatever they can so you can stay."

"Maybe", Freed said and he smiled sadly. "But rules are rules and one should not break them without a reason that could safe someone's life."

"It could safe your life", Rufus smiled. "Isn't that a reason good enough?"

"I will survive. It will be hard and lonely, but I will still survive."

"I won't let you be lonely", Rufus said tightening his grip. "You can always stay with me."

"Thank you for your kindness", Freed smiled. "But I couldn't possibly bother you more than I already have."