Chapter 20

Phil walked back to his house. Head down, and it felt like everything was spinning around him. He felt confused about the things that Dan said, because he wasn’t sure whether Dan believed him completely or not.  

Phil twisted the key in the lock and opened the door, of course the house was empty, but he was used to it by now. 

It was only noon, but all Phil wanted to do was crash down in his bed, pull the covers over himself and fall asleep, or just lay there and try to forget everything for a moment, because he felt overwhelmed, so much was going on. 

On the other hand, he wanted to call Dan again. Just to talk to him. He wanted and needed to know if Dan had forgiven him. 

Phil went to the kitchen and grabbed a glass which he filled with ice cold water. He needed something for refreshment since he felt tense and hot after the argument he had with Louis but also after the talk with Dan.

He felt the cold of the water spread through his whole body as he put the glass down in the sink. 

He felt like he needed a cold shower as well, but decided not to take one, his need to lay down somewhere and hide from the world was too big right now.

Phil went upstairs to his room, closed the door behind him and ripped the duvet off his bed so he could lay in it, which he did, and then pulled the duvet over him completely. He didn’t want to see anything, the dark under the heavy covers was comforting. 

He heard his phone buzz in his pocket a few times, but he never reached for it. He didn’t care that it could be Dan, he didn’t want to talk to anyone right now.

-

”Phil?” 

Phil felt how someone was shaking him through the duvet, and he quickly sat up, confused.

”Mum?” Phil said, surprised. He must have fallen asleep without noticing, because he knew his mum never came home early. 

”What time is it?” Phil continued when his mum didn’t say anything.

”Almost six. Have you been sleeping all day? Where is Louis?” His mum asked, and Phil felt his stomach drop when she mentioned Louis’ name. 

”He had to go home early.” Phil lied convincingly.

”Aw that’s a shame, I thought he’d eat dinner with us, so I cooked more than usual, but that’s okay.” Phils mum smiled at him, but Phil didn’t listen to what she was saying because he kept replaying what happened earlier that day in his head.

”Alright, you can come downstairs Phil, we will be eating soon. I don’t think your brother is home, but would you mind checking?” 

”Yeah sure mum, I’ll see if he’s in his room.” Phil spoke, and his mum left his room. 

Phil crashed down on the bed again and sighed loudly.

After the nap he had taken, everything that had happened felt surreal, like it never actually happened for real. 

Phil suddenly remembered the buzzing from his phone from earlier, and quickly reached for it.

3 text messages from Louis. That was all.

Phil contemplated whether he should open them or not, but in the end he knew he would have to sooner or later, so he did.

‘I’m sorry Phil.’

’No I’m not. Not really.’

‘Yes I am. I’m sorry. I don’t want you to hate me.’