Chapter 2 - Dylan

Dylan's point of view

A cup of coffee appeared in front of me and I grabbed it out of the air, shooting Will a grateful look. He nodded and made a napkin fly over to me next, because I was too damn tired and already getting coffee all over my new pair of jeans. I cursed as the hot liquid burned my legs, but knew that I'd heal soon enough. Instead of worrying about the stains, I sipped the coffee contently. I'd been up all night with Eros, so I needed the caffeine.

"Dylan!"

Ellen Hollow walked into the hospital and spotted me on one of the uncomfortable plastic chairs right away. She rushed over and threw her arms around me, only just careful enough to not make me spill even more. I used my empty hand to pat her on the back. Behind her, the sliding doors opened again when my dad entered. He nodded in greeting and sat down opposite me in silence.

"Any changes?" Ellen asked, still sounding hopeful despite the fact that Demona's condition had been the same for a full month straight.

I shook my head.

"And how's Eros?"

Grunting, I took a gulp of coffee before answering. "Shitty."

"Simon?"

"The same."

Ellen put a hand on my leg and squeezed. "I brought you something to eat."

When she opened the plastic container, the smell hit me and my stomach growled in response. It had been hours since my last meal. Demon's mother watched me scarf down her homecooked meal with a smile. Sometimes I wondered if she ever did anything else than visit her daughter and cook.

"When are you coming home?" my dad asked, his voice gruff.

I glanced over at him, wondering why his mohawk was gone. Instead of his normal bright red hair sticking up in a carefully constructed way, it was a dull black and lay flat on his head in an awkward way. He looked like he had slept about as much as I had, which is to say none at all.

"Not sure."

Finally, Ellen and dad got the hint and left me alone. Before heading in to see Dem, my dad pulled a blood bag out of the pocket his jacked and threw it in my lap. Once I was done with Ellen's spicy tofu, I poured the blood into my coffee cup and gulped it down in a few seconds. Slowly, I was starting to feel a bit more like myself. I emptied the blood that was still left in the bag in my cup as well before throwing the now empty bag out.

The doors slid open again, revealing a girl this time, her long dark hair pulled up in a messy bun. Her outfit was trashy as usual, complete with leopard print leggings and a plunging neckline. She hesitated when she saw me, but I motioned her over.

"Hey," Sheila said with an almost shy smile.

I held up my cup of blood and coffee in a mocking cheers. "Didn't expect to see you here."

She shrugged. "Couldn't sleep. Decided to drive over before classes start. Can I go in?"

"You can always go in, but Ellen and my dad are in there right now."

"Oh," she hesitated. "I'll wait." She got comfortable – in as far that was possible – in her seat and motioned for Will, who was still talking to the girl behind the counter, to get her some coffee. With a flick of his hand, he filled a cup and sent it flying to her. She mouthed 'thanks', took a sip and pulled her phone out so she could play a mindless game until she could go in to see Demona.

Seeing Sheila here was a strange sight. She had come to visit Demona during the first week, when every single person who knew Demona filed in, wanting to get a glimpse of the vamp girl in a coma. After about two weeks, the novelty wore off and only her closest friends showed up, mostly during the weekend. Sheila and Demona hadn't been the best of friends, not by a long shot. I hadn't expected her to show up here a month into this whole ordeal.