Chapter 6 - Eros

Eros' point of view

"What do you mean, you have no choice?" I asked Hammerhead, getting angrier by the second. "You're the principal! Of course you have a choice whether to kick someone out or not."

My principal – or well, I guess he wasn't my principal anymore now – sighed deeply and rubbed his hand over his bald, square head. "Look, you haven't been in school for over a month, Eros. There's only so much I can do as the head of the school. It's not like I'm the king of the world. I've got The United Board to answer to, as well as KTS. When someone says away for this long without a sufficient reason... Rules state I should have kicked you out a long time ago."

We were sitting in an empty hospital room only a few feet away from Demona's room. I gestured in that general direction. "I'd say I have a pretty good reason for not sitting through lectures and taking tests."

Hammerhead sighed again. "I get it, but technically, her being in here doesn't stop you from coming to classes. Even if there wasn't the matter of curfew and all of that, you could at least come in to attend some classes. If you were willing to start doing that first thing tomorrow morning, we could work out a schedule for you to make sure you'll be able to go to college once you complete the transition. Right now, you can't seriously expect me to write you a letter of recommendation." He raised his eyebrows. "I take it you actually do want to have some kind of a future? With or without Demona?"

With or without? How could he even suggest that there was something that was worthy of being called a future without her in it?

"Look, I'm trying here." He was starting to get frustrated with me. "This isn't the first time I'm warning you that there are consequences when you do stupid things, Eros. Before, Cornelia was talking you up at KTS, protecting you from the board. But without your powers..."

"I'm useless." This wasn't the first time he'd told me this. "No place for me at KTS without my mind control, I get it."

Hammerhead shook his head. "Not the place you were promised before, no. Although Cornelia is being very generous to you. With your record, it's gonna be hard enough to find a school that will take you once you finish high school. You need her to get any kind of higher education. She's willing to let you intern in a different department than mind control, show you what else is out there. And if you prove you're worth, KTS will give you an amazing recommendation, making sure you'll be able to get in anywhere you want."

He went on explaining to me how important my education was and what kind of jobs I might be suited for, even without my mind control, but I stopped listening. How the hell was I supposed to make plans for a future that I didn't actually believe in? I was staying with Demona for as long as it took for her to wake up. If she stayed like this forever, I would stay here forever. And if she did wake up, I'd have my powers back, so this whole conversation was pointless.

"You're not coming back to school, are you?" Hammerhead was giving up. Not something he had much experience with, I could tell that much from his dismayed expression. "Well, then I guess this is it. You're almost twenty, I don't think you're gonna want to live with your mother, so I guess you'll just have to get a job to support yourself."

I shrugged. "Or live off my stepdad's money. Guilt goes a long way."

"You're not doing yourself any favors." I could tell there was much more Mr. Han wanted to say to me, but he didn't. Instead, he held out his hand for me to shake.

"Thanks for trying, sir," I told him earnestly. "I do appreciate it."

"If you truly did, you won't be so goddamn stubborn and listen to my advice for once," he replied before turning around and walking out of the room.