Chapter 22 - Demona

Demona's point of view

For the first time in what felt like centuries, my lungs could take in the air without it burning through my body like fire. Instead of fighting against the pain, I felt light now. Numbness, surely, that would only last for a short while, but anything was better than the hell I'd been in before.

My limbs were still too heavy to lift and my eyelids too sticky to open. Emptiness was all I could feel and hear. There were no sounds around me, nobody talking, not even the sound of footsteps to make me feel like I was still alive. Like anyone cared.

My mind automatically reached out to Simon and Eros, but there was nothing. No, that was a lie. Not nothing, but also no true bond. It felt like they were no longer an integral part of me. Instead, they were so far away that it was hard to tell what they were feeling. From both sides of the weakened bond I could feel...

Lust?

Surely that wasn't right. My mind must not be working correctly.

Simon might be with a girl, he had every right to find himself someone new. I just hoped he hadn't gone back to Amy, that he had finally found a girl that was good to him, someone who truly loved him and appreciated all his support and kindness.

Eros on the other hand... He couldn't. He wouldn't.... Right?

The mere thought of it was too much. The numbness ceased and the sensations of thousands of fires setting my skin ablaze rushed over me. For the first time, I welcomed it. At least the discomfort of my body would numb the aching of my heart.