Chapter 35 - Simon

Simon's point of view

She was beautiful. Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful.

Sheila must have felt my gaze, since she looked up and smiled at me before turning her attention back on nurse Sara. She'd come in a few minutes earlier for Demona's physical therapy. Sheila had grown interested in all things going on in the hospital, all the aspect of taking care of someone who was in a coma. Once again, she was asking Sara a bunch of questions about what she was doing and why. I just sat in my chair, watching them. Watching Sheila, specifically.

"Stop staring at her, it's creepy."

I looked up at Dylan's voice. When had he walked in?

"How's Demona doing today?" he asked, watching the nurse finish up the therapy session.

"Same," I replied. "Her eyelids flutter sometimes, and she squeezes your hand when you hold it while you talk to her, but that's about it. Her lips moved a few times, but we're not sure if that's because she wants to talk or just an involuntary movement."

"Hmm." Dylan sat down next to me. "Is it stupid that I soft of expected her to be awake by now?"

"Yes, but I did too," I confessed. I think we all hoped Demona would be sitting up in her bed, talking to us, yelling at us, pushing herself too hard like she always did. Still, she was doing alright. She'd be awake soon, surely.

"You and Sheila still going strong?" he asked, moving away from the topic of Demona's coma.

"Yes," Sheila replied for me. Nurse Sara left the room and my girlfriend sat down in my lap, putting her arms around me. "We are. How are you and Carl doing? Did you guys get a chance to talk after..."

Ah yes, the Dylan Daily fiasco. It hadn't surprised me that there had been a fight. Going to the bar had been a stupid idea, but I tried not to show what I thought about it. When Demona and I had broken up, I hadn't dealt with things that great myself. In fact, I remembered an embarrassing scene of me quoting Amy's favorite movie to her in the hallway and kissing her. Who was I to judge how Dylan managed his own heart break?

"He called me," Dylan said, looking sad. "After hearing what I did, he decided that he doesn't even want to think about being with me anymore. He said that love shouldn't be this hard at our age and that he never wants me to hurt Dylan Daily ever again. So... that relationship is definitely over."

"I'm sorry," Sheila said, speaking for the both of us. "It's my fault really. It was stupid for me to take you there."

"No, no, it was only a matter of time before this happened," Dylan assured her. "I wanted to see him. Besides, you tried to keep me from doing anything stupid. You didn't succeed, obviously, but you tried."

I felt bad for Dylan more than anything else. Sure, hitting someone was wrong, but luckily, he hadn't caused any permanent damage. If Sheila broke up with me and had sex with someone, I wouldn't be able to remain calm and collected myself. My grip on her tightened and she squeezed my shoulder reassuringly. It was nice how we understood each other without the need to voice every dingle thought. I hadn't expected to find that with someone who wasn't my bondmate. My experience with Demona had set unreasonable expectations for future girls, but being with Sheila was better. Way better. I didn't need her to be my bondmate to love her. She didn't need to be connected to me by magic for us to understand each other.

Plus, it was nice that we didn't have to worry about one of us ending up in a coma when we had sex. Which we did. Often. Very often.

"Oh," Sheila suddenly felt heavier on my lap and she clutched me. "I don't feel so great."