Chapter 34 - Eros

Author's note:

- I completely redid this chapter before posting it, because the last version sucked. I hope this one doesn't.

- I reread a few chapters of SBS #2 and I realized that at this point, there are a lot of inconsistencies. Eros' age has changed to many times that he seemed to be three different ages in four consequetive chapters... I'm not even sure how old he is at this point. In fact, the ages of all characters in this story seem to be off. Some are 22 and still in high school? I need to fix that, but not now. I have so much inspiration for this book, that I just don't want to start a big rewrite right now. I knew that I will have to some day, but I just can't be bothered with it right now.

- I also realized that I can't spell to save my life. Also, the tenses of the verbs (like past simple and past perfect and all that crap) are no good. English isn't my first language and it took me until I was 18 or so to be able to write stories in English. I thought I was pretty good at it, but rereading some chapters, I can tell that there is a lot going on with the way I spell some words and my grammar and stuff. I apologize for that and I'm glad that you've been with me for so long, reading all my books, even though you must get annoyed with my writing style sometimes. Please feel free to point out mistakes and I will fix them!

Anyway, thank you all for sticking with me through the years, for commenting on my stories, voting, the works. Some days, a comment or a vote is the reason I get back to writing. Thank you for doing that for me, because I love writing.

Enjoy this chapter!

Eros' point of view

Cornelia Eisenburg was far from pleased when my call woke her up in the middle of the night. In fact, she yelled at me and hung up. I tried Hammerhead next, but he had the exact same reaction. That left me and Ellen without any lead on where Ben and Julia were. Ellen put our coats backs on their hangers and sunk back into the couch. I got her another glass of wine before heading to bed. Ben's phone call had left me feeling troubled and I was in no mood for company, not even Ellen's. She seemed to feel the same way about me, since she didn't even wish me goodnight when I left the doom.

I hadn't expected to sleep at all that night, but I fell asleep the moment my head touched the pillow. Every fiber in my being missed Demona, but spending the night in her childhood bed every night was strangely comforting. I'm ashamed to admit that I hadn't even bothered to remove her stuffed animals. In fact, an old grey bunny had become my sleeping companion these past weeks. Still, it was better than falling asleep in a chair or even on the floor of her hospital room.

The next morning, I woke up to the sound of footsteps heading into my room, followed by Ellen hissing: "Shh, you'll wake him up."

Rolling over onto my back, I opened my eyes and looked up into Noah Lennon's smiling face. He was holding his phone, taking a picture of me.

"This is so cute," he told me, snapping another one. "I didn't know you still slept with a stuffed animal. This picture is so gonna be my new screen saver!"

"Shut up!" I threw the bunny at his mocking face and drew the covers over my head. "Leave me alone!"

Noah laughed, his footsteps moving slowly out of the room. When I felt certain he had closed the door behind him, I got out of bed to pick up bunny and grab some clothes. I hurried to the bathroom, ignoring Noah making comments about my sleeping habits again. After showering, I headed to the living room, where Ellen and Noah were having breakfast.

Noah handed me a cup of coffee while Ellen got up to get me some toast and scrape the last of the eggs out of the frying pan. It almost felt like I was nine again, waking up to Mom and Dad preparing breakfast for the three of us.