Chapter 55 - Demona

Demona's point of view

Looking at myself in the mirror, I couldn't help but be disappointed that I still looked exactly the same. I had all my powers and the Transition had definitely begun for me as well, but I still looked like a small, blonde girl that was in no way ready to be out of high school.

"Hey," a soft voice sounded from the visitor area. "Is it okay that I'm here?"

I stepped away from my own reflection and smiled at my mother, who was sitting on the other side of the glass wall. "Of course it is."

"Eros got out today," she told me while her eyes went over me, trying to see if anything had changed about me. Her expression softened when she realized that even if I was turning into a full vampire, that didn't mean I was turning into a different person. "Your transition started one day after his, so this is probably your last day in here."

"We don't know that." I dragged a chair to the glass wall so I could sit across from her. "There's still the pesky little problem of my mind control... remember?"

"How could I ever forget?" Mom smiled sadly and pulled a hand through her long brown hair, pushing it back from her face. The movement bared her neck for only a second, but it was enough for my fangs to shoot out. My entire mouth ached and throbbed and I could feel every single tooth, my gums, my tongue, everything... just aching to get out of this cell and drink Mom's blood.

"Sorry," I said, turning away from her. Stupid bloodlust. It was even worse than usual and I just hoped that it was just the transition making me long to let my fangs sink into anything and anyone. For the past two days, I'd been praying and hoping that once the Trans was over, I would gain some more control over this instead of less.

"Demona..." My mother put her hands against the glass. "Look at me."

I put a hand in front of my mouth and turned back to her, trying to pretend the veins on her arms weren't screaming at me.

"Take your hand away," Mom ordered me. "It's okay, Demmy."

Part of me had been afraid of this very moment. Ever since my mom had freaked out when she first found out I was turning into a vampire, just like my Dad. I had been scared of her rejecting me, her daughter. We'd grown a lot in the past two years, but that didn't mean my fear was completely gone. She hadn't been there when I had attacked Greg. She rarely ever got to see my fangs. And now she was here, on the other side of the glass wall, watching me as I went through the last stage of the transition; the point of no return. Not that there had been a point of return before today, but I'd always felt like a part of me was still human. Right now, with bloodlust raging through me every waking moment, it was hard to still feel like I was anything other than a vampire.

"Honey, it's okay," she repeated when I finally lowered my hand and let her see my fangs. They'd grown over the past days, they were now the full size they'd always been meant to be. I knew how scary they looked – I had recoiled from my own reflection the first time in front of the mirror.

To my surprise, Mom didn't look scared or freaked at all. She didn't even look away.

"You don't have to be here," I said, trying to enunciate carefully since I wasn't used to talking with my fangs out. "In a few days, I'll look much more normal."

"Who cares about normal?" Mom replied, holding up her left hand. There were two rings on her finger, carefully fit together. One of them was the gold wedding band my dad had given her, the other Noah's engagement ring. "I used to be married to a vampire and now I'm engaged to another one. That's not exactly normal either. I loved you father and I love Noah. You're my daughter, Demmy. I'm never gonna love you any less for being a vampire. I'm sorry it took me so long to be okay with all of this."