Chapter 23 - Eros

Eros' point of view

The moment I realized the severity of what we were doing, I pushed Anne away and rolled out of the bed. That resulted in Anne groaning from hitting the wall because I'd used too much force and me wincing when I fell on the floor. The pain woke both of us right up.

"Oh. My God." Anne pulled the covers over herself, gazing down at me in horror. "Did we just..."

I pulled myself up into a sitting position, but made sure to stay on the floor. No more bed for me. Not the one Anne was in, anyway.

"What were you even doing in my bed?" Anne was moving from shock to anger alarmingly fast. "Oh God, I cheated on Antwan. Kissing is cheating, right? Oh God, he's going to break up with me. Oh God, oh God, Demona... She's gonna wake up to kill me."

"She might wanna start with me," I agreed, "but I'm sure you're on her list as well."

There was definite panic in Anne's eyes. "What are we going to do? We can't tell anyone, obviously, but I'm bad at lying so might have to-"

"Anne, chill." It was hard enough not to start panicking myself. If she didn't pull it together soon, I was gonna go down the shame spiral with her. Technically, nothing irreparable had happened... right? I'd tried to comfort her when she'd been crying and because of all the heightened emotions, the closeness, the groggy heads... we'd kissed. And we'd stopped it quickly and both felt horrible about it right now. Surely Antwan and Demona would understand.

At least, that was what I had to tell myself. Just imagine the horror of Demona finally waking up only to break up with me over one stupid kiss.

"Chill?" Anne shrieked. "Did you just tell me to chill? What the hell is wrong with you? This is all your fault."

"Hey, you kissed me, not the other way around."

"You got into my bed!" she yelled, throwing her pillow at my head. "I was drunk! What the hell were you doing snuggling with me?"

The yelling went on for a few more minutes before I finally got a chance to explain that I hadn't done anything weird or wrong. That I'd only been in her bed because she'd been crying and had asked me to stay. The realization of what had truly gone down finally calmed Anne down enough for me to be able to have a normal conversation with her. I felt bad enough without her making me the sole culprit here.

"I have nightmares sometimes," she told me. "Like a few times a year, normally. Ever since Demona fell into her coma, it's been more often and they've been getting worse. It's like I don't even know how to think straight anymore. I honestly don't even remember you comforting me. All I remember is feeling like the whole world was breaking into a million pieces." She shuddered. "It was the worst one I've had in a long time."

"That's horrible." If anyone understood what it was like to lose your mind, I would definitely be that person. Demona was the only person who'd ever been able to break through the crazy when things got bad. Was Antwan that person for Anne? I sure hoped he was, because I knew firsthand how important it was to find your rock.

"Does Antwan know?" Please, please, tell me he knows.

She nodded. "He's witnessed three or four of them, actually. He was freaked out by them, so I've actually been holding out on spending the night with him."

"So he knows that you're not in your right mind when you get like that?" I asked, just to be sure.

"Yeah..." She paused and then let out a relieved sigh when she finally understood what I was getting at. "He knows how I get. So yeah, maybe he won't break up with me. He'll be mad, though."