Chapter 3 - Eros

Eros' point of view

If I could go back in time, I would. I wouldn't even go far. The moment right before I slept with Demona would be just fine, little over a month ago. Instead of giving into my primal urges and condemning her to a comatose life in dead, I would get off of her, take a pair of scissors and cut off my... Well, I think you get the picture.

Problem solved.

Sadly, that was no longer an option.

To make things worse, everyone was so goddamn nice to me. How are you, Eros? Are you eating well, Eros? Do you miss her, Eros? Can I do anything for you, Eros? I didn't deserve that. I should be in that bed instead. Hell, if killing myself would fic this mistake, I would. I really would.

"Fucking hell, are you still here?"

I looked up and saw Anne standing in the doorway. She was scowling and pinching her nose.

"Get a shower," she said, sounding nasal. "You smell like you've been here since last weekend." When I didn't respond, she sighed. "You have haven't you? Didn't you get out of this place once in a week. Eros..." She put switched the dead flowers in the corner for the fresh ones in her arms and left for a moment to throw the old ones in the bin outside.

I got up while she was gone, pinning another playing card on the wall. This time, there had been a lyric on it from a song Demona loved. "You're so fucked up, and I love it" the card read. The line read like a confession of love specifically directed at me. Other snippits from the song were on other cards, reading things like "Loose screws", "god damn", "I love you anyway" and "dazed and confused". I wasn't sure why she'd picked those words, but I had put them all together, hoping that I would make sense of all the cards one day.

Some cards made more sense. There were a few with lines from a song that meant a lot to us: Hey there Delilah. "Times Square can't shine as bright as you." "I'm right there if you get lonely." "I know times are getting' hard." Those lines made perfect sense to me, they spoke to me when I felt lost and kept walking up and down the tiny room, feeling like the walls were collapsing around me.

I stared at the other lines from Hey there Delilah. "I can promise you / That by the time that we get through / The world will never ever be the same." It sounded sweet, like she was promising me that she would wake up one day. There was line missing, though. It wasn't on one of the cards and I doubted Demona would have scribbled that one down. It didn't matter anyway, because I knew the song too well. The line that came after was: "And you're to blame."

Instead of comforting me, the three lines taunted me, telling me that I was to blame. Not what Dem had been trying to tell me, but it still hurt.

"Stop obsessing over Dem's obsession with lyrics," Anne said impatiently when she walked back in. "If you could make yourself useful by opening the window, that would be great."

I complied, leaning on the windowsill with my elbows and closing my eyes to enjoy the cool wind on my face.

"Your mother called." Anne tossed me my phone that I had left in the hallway on purpose.

Mom had called me before, but I didn't feel like picking up. One of Dem's final wishes had been for me to patch things up with her, but I didn't want to. I really didn't want to.

"It's Easter tomorrow," Anne told me. "I think she wants to invite you over or something. Maybe it would be good for you to stop having this goddamn pity party and get out, eat some eggs, pick a fight with your stepfather, do something."