Chapter 2 × Returning Home

(Fayore's POV)

The boy - Hunter - pulled me all the way to a door. We both used our upper bodies to push open the heavy door and we looked around.

We were in the woods. For some reason, I could smell gasoline and pollution. It made me think of cars. Well, at least that's what Elaine says cars smell like.

'There's a highway a few miles east.' Scarlett spoke.

"What now?" Hunter asked as he looked at me with confusion across his face.

"There is a highway a couple miles east. Maybe if we go there, we can catch a ride or at least ask for some directions." I shrugged and glanced down shyly.

He stares at me for a few seconds before asking me, "How do you know that?"

I began to laugh nervously as I twiddled with me fingers, "I-I well, you see...-"

I suddenly was forced to a stop as Scarlett launched forward and finished my sentence, "She'll tell you later. As of now, you both need to be getting a move on." Scarlett said with sass as Elaine laughed in my-our head.

Scarlett retreated back into my head as I looked at Hunter's shocked face. He didn't ask anymore questions and we started east.

We speed walked for about twenty-five minutes before we arrived at the side of a highway.

"This highway isn't too far up. I'll go up and then help you get up there, yeah?" He said as he already began to go up.

I nodded at him. I knew that he could probably run away and leave me, but when he grabbed me under my arms and lifted me up onto the side of the highway, I knew he wouldn't.

Hunter raised his hand out and and made a fist with his thumb sticking up. I didn't know what he was doing, but I started to call for cars.

"Hey! Hey! Car, please stop! We need help!" I screamed with my hands on the side of my mouth.

"What are you doing?!" Hunter asked me, his hands covering his ears.

I looked at him in confusion, "Calling a car. I thought we were trying to get their attention?" I questioned before continuing my yelling.

"You aren't supposed to scream at them, Fayore!" He said.

"Really? Then how do we get their-" I started, but was cut off when a car pulled up beside us.

The window rolled down and we saw a middle aged woman. She had light blond hair that was slightly grey and it stopped at her neck. She wore a blue floral shirt with some blue loose jeans to match. Her skin was pale, she had on glasses, and her face had a friendly smile on it.

"Hello. I heard ya screamin' and I wanted to know if ya needed somethin'." The woman said. She had a slight country accent to her, but it worked well with her voice.

"Yeah, we wanted to know where we are." Hunter asked in a clipped tone. I can tell that Hunter doesn't take kindly to strangers.

"Oh! Well, you youngins in California." She announced.

My eyes widened at the new information. I was still in California! All these years The Five had told me that I was far from home and that the only way I would leave was over their dead bodies.

'Hah! I guess they got that wish!' Scarlett laughed.

'This is priceless! It's like they predicted the future!' Elaine laughed along with Scarlett.

Surprisingly, I let out a little giggle as well. I was never one to laugh at others death, but I guess Elaine and Scarlett are changing me.

'We're helping you for the better.' They both corrected in unison.